First snack sticks, suggestions???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

radioguy

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Columbus, Ohio
Last winter I did my first sausage. Kielbasa, bratwurst, breakfast links. Now I want to try my hand at smoked snack sticks. They are always a welcome treat in this house.
I've been doing some reading and figured I'd do a post here.

Meat? Beef or beef/pork mix?

Casings? What type casings to use? I don't like chewy sticks or having to peel a skin.

Recipe ? Recommend a recipe or mix for me. I definitely will try a spicy/hot version. Fresh jalapeno/ Cheese too.

Thanks in advance
RG

I'm giving the PS Seasoning's "tex-mex" flavor a try on a doe from this past weekend. I'm planning on using a 50/50 venison to pork ratio. The blends come in 25lb mixes so I'll be using 12.5lbs of venison and the same of fatty pork. Will follow the PS seasoning instructions from there, they are pretty self explanatory. I use the 17-19 mm collagen casings.

Willies is another good flavor I have used in the past, but I like trying different flavor profiles....looking for that perfect one. Good luck!

I prefer AC Leggs seasonings.... In fact, I really like their Hot Italian blend for sausage and I have made sticks using the Hot Italian mix... It's not really too hot tho... It could use some chili flakes....
Spend the extra $2 or so any use pre-tubed sheep casings... they are more tender than pig....
Or .... Check out Walton's and watch their video on collagen casings... I think they make 3 varieties from Tough, Medium and tender...

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky