First smoking weekend for me. Any advice?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

streaky

Original poster
I pick up a pork shoulder on Friday as well as a rack of ribs. I have read threads and articles and think I am ready for the final push. The pork will weigh about 6lbs and ribs are a full rack. Any ideas on the length of time for both as I have heard so many variations. Wouldnt want to spoil it!!

Figure roughly 12 hrs. for the shoulder and 5 or 6 on the ribs, but each piece of meat is differant so allow for extra time on the shoulder and go by temp. not time.

The key ingredient here with the shoulder is the use of a good thermometer for the smoker and the meat. The temp has to be your guide not time unless you do the 3-2-1 method on the ribs then it is time

Be patient and good luck

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome to SMF. You'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now for your butt a 1 1/2 per pound is pretty good estimate of time. Now did you have any problem getting a pork ribs?? I remember one fellow from the UK said that he went to his butcher and he told him to try back in February for the ribs are a summer meat. But anyway your butt should take maybe 10-11 hours give  and your ribs will take the whole 6 hours. But I would plan some extra time for the butt will get ready when it want not when you want it too. But you will need a good probe thermometer maybe 2 would be good. One for the smoker (never rely on the one with the smoker) and then one for the butt. Then take the butt to 165° and then foil it and take it to about 205° and then put it into a dry cooler and let it rest (very important) for atleast an hour if not longer. Now for the ribs used the 3-2-1 method on the first ones and then adjust the foiling time to your liking. Now that's 3 hour naked and then 2 hours in the foil and then last hour naked again. So enjoy and will you stop into Roll Call and introduce yourself and your equipment to us please.

Last edited:
Try going to the wiki & look up basic pulled pork. An old cat that us to hang here named meowey has the whole thing laid out for you! Remember go by temp not time!! Good luck & welcome to your new addiction:)

Wow.. Thanks guys for the advice. In summary, temp is the key and a cold beer at the end. Will let you all know how it goes.
No.... prep meat *beer* light smoker *beer* put meat on smoker *beer* have a beer or 5 while waiting for meat on smoker. Pull meat off of smoker *beer* get the food set up *beer* and dig in eat a great meal and treat yourself to a well deserved beer!!
biggrin.gif

Ok. Meat collected, ribs marinading, shoulder coated in dry rub and now time for sleep. Early start tomorrow to put on final rubs and off we go. So by nine tomorrow night UK time I should be tucking in to a successful first attempt. Thanks for the advice all and I'll post some pics. If its a success of course 
icon_smile.gif

mballi3011 - you asked if I had trouble getting my ribs. In short, no. My butcher managed to get the ribs without a hitch. Both ribs and shoulder were from hand reared organic pigs. Sounds posh. Lets hope its reflected in the flavor.

No.... prep meat *beer* light smoker *beer* put meat on smoker *beer* have a beer or 5 while waiting for meat on smoker. Pull meat off of smoker *beer* get the food set up *beer* and dig in eat a great meal and treat yourself to a well deserved beer!!
biggrin.gif
^^^^what he said!!
biggrin.gif

and....def go by temp, don't count on it only taking 1.5 hours per pound cuz these things can be a pain sometimes when they stall but just ride it out.  I had a couple of butts stall for somewhere around 6 hours a month or so ago....but the were the BEST that i've done yet.  It'll all come out fine.  Let us know how it goes and take plenty of pics!! 

Good luck on the shoulder, hopefully you have a short stall and don't drink to much beer, trust me. By the way I have 9 butts on as I type and I am drinking beer. Will I ever learn? I think not!!!!!! 

Step 1. Ice down the beer.

Step 2. After your butt, sorry, the pork butt sits in the refrigerator over night, allow it to come to room temp.

Step 3. Heat up the smoker.  You didn't mention what kind of smoker you are using.  I have a MES and take it to 275.  It makes it easier to bring it back to temp after opening the door and putting in the butt.

Step 4. I smoke at 235 - 245 with hickory and cherry wood chips.

Step 5.  Temp, temp, temp -- not time -- to 165.

Step 6.  I'm a foiler gal.  I put butter and brown sugar in foil, add the butt, more sugar on top, and seal the foil.

Step 7.  Back in the smoker and take temp to 200.

Step 8.  Remove butt from smoker, double foil, wrap in towels, and place in insulated cooler for at least, and I mean at least, 1 hour. (I let it rest for 2, if at all possible.)

Step 9.  Using SoFlaQuer's Finishing Sauce, pull the pork and add a little of the sauce.  I also serve some on the side.

Step 10. Nothing left to do, except enjoy.

Oh, and make sure to you are partaking of that iced beer through out all 10 steps.    Welcome to SMF.   You're going to love it here.

Reactions: r833g
Well Guys. You were right. I am addicted. After 11hrs and 40mins, the shoulder came out. I followed your advice to the letter, got very drunk and then spent all Sunday eating myself into oblivion. The taste was out of this world. Neighbours knocked to ask what I was cooking in the garden because the smell was so good. There was plenty to go round and they loved it as much as me and my family did. Even my nine year old daughter is a convert. My only dilemma now is what to smoke next and how can I make the week go faster so I can do it all over again. Any ideas??

49881fe0_JustOut.jpg

289cfbcc_TheMeat.jpg

There is such a thing as a called in sick today smoke. BUT IT IS ONLY TO BE USED IN EMERGENCYS !

Grats! Glad to hear a good time was had by the cook, and everybody enjoyed the results..... always nice to get the neighbors on your side early... lol.

For a second go around I would suggest ribs and chicken, ribs will take about 5 or 6 hrs. chicken about 2 or 3 hrs. I usually put the same rub on both of them. Serve the sauce on the side and let people add it as they wish. My kids almost won't touch chicken any more unless it is smoked..... spoiled little ingrates! lol

OBVIOUSLY You saved some for all of us who added to your post? I will send my address please make it quick. Also, send some sauce for good measure..... What are you doing reading this, get to the post office.....Thanks!
icon_wink.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky