first smokie okie, and its important

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jack

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
orange county california
alright, im finally getting a chance to use the smokie okie method for a brisket. ii bought this peice of meat a few weeks ago hoping to do this, but work has got the best of me lately. i sure hope mine turns out like all the folks writing great reviews on this style because i just spoke with my buddy who owns a bar and serves one meal for lunch everyday and will use my brisket provided the sample i give him of this smokie okie beef is good. i really do trust all you guys and gals and have read lots on this, so i feel pretty confident. wish me luck, jack

lots of luck to ya
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Just do it exactly according to his directions. It's tuff to do the first time; charring the living chit out of it is scary. Be sure to use LOTS of lump, and bring your gloves and LONG tongs. mmmmmmmm

rodger that... ive read all the ouch stories, i got those goofy long gloves and long tongs. im sure it will go against my instincts to blacken the thing, but im prepared to go against my instincts. looks like my fires are about ready so here goes, ill take pics.

Take a picture of that fire! I have failed at my first SmokieOkie attempt because my fire was too small. (I think)

Jack I suggest going to 190º internal temp - 200º will probably be too long. You will most likely have to cut it thicker at the lower temp anyway because it is so tender. Remember to check the jiggle before it comes off for just the right feel.

The jiggling is a method to check for doneness. It should have a nice jiggle without being too loose. It was put to me in a similar manner as this but more direct and to the point: If you remember when you were 18 and your girlfriend was 18 too... think about her jiggle. Firm but with a jiggle
rolleyes.gif

so just press on it, right? i never have brought a brisket to 200* before, but thats what the recipe said to do, but i will probably take it to my normal 194*, i dont know why, but this is my magic brisket number.

More of a squeeze and jiggle kind of thing. Like jell-o only not so loose. Just take it to temp and then see how the meat reacts when you wiggle it a bit. You'll learn the feel after a few of them. Good luck to ya and be prepared for some rilly wunnerful brisket.

jack
WARNING: You are getting yourself into something with this bar owner, he is going to be keeping you very busy making briskets !!!

Ok, now I want to do this method ........... if it can bring back THOSE memories .............WOW, that must be a good brisket!
PDT_Armataz_01_18.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky