First smoked sausage w/Qview (bonus smoke generator construction-view)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jeffesonm

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
So after fussing about with a few fresh sausage recipes, I thought it was finally time to try something smoked. I used the Smoked Sausage recipe off this site, and used a bit more beef and a bit less pork since that's what I had on hand.

No pictures of the grinding or stuffing, but it came out looking like this:

I have two smokers... an ECB, which I've used for a few butts and a few chuckies, and a Brinkmann All-in-One propane job I snagged off craigslist for $50 brand new and used just once to make some buckboard bacon (yum). The All-in-One did a relatively good job keeping steady, low temps, however I couldn't get the thing to consistently put off the TBS at the same time. After reading all the threads around here it seemed like a smoke generator was in order.

Started with one of those stainless steel water bottles and burned the paint off the outside with a propane torch. I then cut off the top and drilled out a hole in the bottom.

Barb adapter thingy threaded on...

Next up was the grate for the bottom...

Cut a hole in the bottom of the All-in-One so I could route the ducting from the smoke generator into the body...

Black Cat wishing she could have just one of those links...

Air pump hooked up with a lump of charcoal at the bottom and some apple chips/chunks on top...

Whole thing assembled... (used the ECB body since it's a bit taller than the All-in-One).

Six hours later I got me some smoked sausage!

Need to tweak the smoke generator a bit and also need to do a better job managing temps... I probably need to get a needle valve or a burner with less BTUs since the one I have is on the verge of going out when I have it set low enough to get 170. Overall though I'm pretty happy with how they turned out... they taste good, and look pretty good too.

Nice job on the smoke generator Jeffesonm, and the sausage looks great especially for being your first attempt.
points.gif

Great looking sausage...
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

The smoke generator looks great, nice design...
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Good looking sausage and also the smoke generator!
points.gif

Looks great. How much did the cat end up with?
tongue.gif

It really looks great job on the sausage and the generator too. Man you have done alot of learning and some teaching today and it's just your first smoke and sausage making skills. You be Jammin
points.gif

Thanks all for the kind words... were it not for this forum I'd never have tried sausage making in the first place
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Hard to say really... I was fiddling with it the whole time and still don't have it perfect. The longest it went was about an hour and then it went out, even though there were still chips/chunks left.

The cat got nothing except for some random meat scraps that fell on the floor.
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky