First Smoked Pork Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oleolson

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
Jamestown, ND
I picked up a 5.5 lb pork butt tonight and got it rubbed down with a mesquite seasoning rub that I bought at a local butcher shop. Going to be putting it in the smoker (MES) tomorrow morning. Will probably be using apple and cherry wood. I'll post pics as the day goes on.

Sounds good will be looking forward to Qview

Would appreciate any tips from the veterans who have done this before. I figure I smoke it around 225-250 til it hits 160, then wrap it? til it gets to 200 degrees, and take it out, wrap in towels and stick in a cooler for an hour or so?

Good luck. With the MES you can skip the cooler, just spritz, add any pan drippings, wrap in foil, set your temps and forget. I did a brisket like that and went to bed. The next morning I woke up to perfect pulled brisket after 10 hours.

Erain, have you upacked the MES yet?

tomorrow ron, wont be doin a smoke with it this weekend, using gosm. want it all set to go for next weeks smoked dried elk roasts. thanks for all the info and encouragement.

Mix ya up a spritz ta spray on the butt bought every hour, heps keep em moist an give yalls bark a boost too!

Otherwise yall gotta that system down perdy good! An yall can let it rest longer in an hour ifin yall likes, won't hurt it a bit! Save some them juices from the rest, yall can add em back in after the pullin contest.

Good luck an may the smoke gods smile upon yer cooker!

Better give yall sumtin fer a spritz too:

Slaughter house spritz:

8 oz Apple Cider
6 oz Water
4 oz Whiskey
2 oz Cider Vinegar

Put it all in a spray bottle an giver a shake, I spritz bout once an hour.

Thanks for all the responses. I just put it in the smoker and will mix up some spritz for it. I figure it should take around 8.5 hours. Here's a couple pics to start out, hope they turned out ok.
4270b9dd_vbattach18567.jpg

2b0993a8_vbattach18566.jpg

43c40a40_vbattach18565.jpg

Got it wrapped in foil now, forgot to take a pic before I did that sorry. Should be ready in a couple hours.

Don't forget the pixs
icon_sad.gif
lol.

This is my 8.9lbs at 145.

I've been using a mop of:

Apple Juice
Dark Brown Sugar
White Sugar
White Wine vinegar
4fbc2ca9_vbattach18589.jpg

All I can say is this is going to become a habit. It turned out awesome! I made a finishing sauce that SoFlaQuer posted and used that on half of the meat and the other half I just used the juices. I'll post pics soon, I'm currently having trouble attaching files here.

I don't spritz my meat. It's not a flavor thing...it's a temperature thing (I try not to open the smoker chamber door any more than I have to).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky