First Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

woodsey32

Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
Just got the MES30 for Christmas. Decided my first smoke would be a lean pork roast. Seasoned the smoker for 30 minutes and then went to work!

I would post pictures of journey, but I don't have enough posts. I did a dry rub of chipotle mesquite over night. Then injected with 3/4c apple juice, 3/4c water, 1/4c kosher salt, and 1/4c sugar right before smoking. Then mopped the pork every hour with apple juice. Smoked over the A-maze pellets with 50/50 maple oak. Cooked to 150.

It tasted great! The roast was only 3lbs so it took 5 hours. I wish I had a thicker smoke ring than the 1/4inch I got.

I wanted to say thank you for all the advice I have received thus far. Hopefully the next one will be just as fun!

Sounds like a great meal and a successful maiden voyage!

As for the smoke ring.....do to it being an electric smoker you will not get much if any smoke ring at all. I forget the full technical details, but it has something to do with the chemical reaction with the burning of the wood/charcoal and the meats that cause it. Basically the further you get away from using a wood/charcoal fire the less smoke ring you will get. There are several great threads on SMF that go way into the details about it.
But a smoke ring does not make great BBQ. The proper cooking and execution of the cook is what makes it. Most comps don't judge on the smoke ring. I know when I went to my FBA judges class they told us not to judge for a smoke ring.

th_What_NO_QVIEW.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky