First Smoke - Pulled Pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smitty20

Original poster
May 27, 2010
Breaking the new MES in tomorrow with a 4lb Boston Butt.  About to start making my rub to get it prepped for tomorrow.  Quick question.  I've read that I should foil the water pan for drippings.  Make sense, but I've also seen that some people use an aluminum roaster pan instead of putting the butt directly on the rack.  I would assume that is to minimize mess.

Which technique is better?

Last edited:
Personally I just foil the water pan with butts I feel they drip too much fat to have the butt sit in it

cool.gif

I do keep the water pan in my smoker for the even heat and to caught the drippings but I don't foil it cause I aways clean my water pan out after the smoke. But you could use a foil pan to caught the dripping if you want to but I would throw the dripping away anyway.

So, I think I screwed up.  I preheated for an hour at 275, then putt the shoulder in, added chips, and set to 225.

Should I have had the chips in for the preheating process?  

You did fine.  No point having chips going during the preheat, with nothing in the smoker to absorb the smoky goodness.

So, I think I screwed up.  I preheated for an hour at 275, then putt the shoulder in, added chips, and set to 225.

Should I have had the chips in for the preheating process?  
Yea I usually put the chips in while I am heading up my smoker so I can get things rolling and get the chips putting out a nice thin blue smoke before you put the meat one. Some do some don't. Some times when they first get going (depending on the style smoker ie. gas, electric wood burner) it can give off some white smoke until things get going. What type of smoker are you using? You will still be fine though just make sure that you aren't  getting thick white smoke you want that very thin blue smoke and if you can't really see it but you can smell it you are fine to. Too much smoke isn't a good thing. Its like the old saying goes "less is more". Good luck.

Last edited:
I'm using the 30' MES.  And, I'm about 45 minutes in at 225.  No smoke at all yet.

yep, smell nothing but hickory now.  Before, it was just garlic from the rub.

About 4 hours in, and holding steady around 155 degrees.  Remove and foil at 165, correct?  Then put back in until 205?

About 4 hours in, and holding steady around 155 degrees.  Remove and foil at 165, correct?  Then put back in until 205?
That will work, but the longer you can go (if you have the time) without foiling, the more bark will form on the meat. Bark=Flavor. If you are in no hurry let it go. If you are on a deadline, foil it up.

Having the "Black charred chips" issue with little to no smoke rather than burning to white ash.  Have tried wet and dry chips, same deal.  The hickory still smells great, though.

At the 5 1/2 hour mark, holding steady at 160 degrees.  Thinking of pulling it soon to foil it.  Would like to eat by 6PM.  Also, I added some Q-view photos to the thread, but they are waiting for moderator approval.

6 1/2 hours in, just pulled it at 166 and foiled.  Finish at 230 until 205 internal, correct?

8h 10m, internal temp is 198.  I'm pulling it at 200.  Family is getting hungry!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky