First smoke on WSM QView

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

avas38

Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
This was my first solo smoke (previously I only helped out) and my first smoke on my new smoker, an 18.5" WSM. Everything went smoothly. Thanks to everyone who gave me buying, smoking and curing advise!

I used a mix of apple and oak.

Chicken 4 hours at 225:

14178a03_031.jpg

Bacon 2 hours at 225:

49dde3dc_038.jpg

5bb5f647_063.jpg

Pork Butt 12 hours at 225:

72603181_086.jpg

Dinner:

Shredded pork, baked potato, garlicky braised beet greens and some buttermilk rolls

5555b9bc_102.jpg

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

Great Job there avas. You did one fine looking mess of food there. How did the bacon turn out for I have always done bacon in a slow and really low temp smoking for all I wanted was the smokey flavor and not to cook it. I wonder if you could just eat it straight now that you smoke it totally. How high did you take the bellie bacon.

icon_cool.gif

Great Job there avas. You did one fine looking mess of food there. How did the bacon turn out for I have always done bacon in a slow and really low temp smoking for all I wanted was the smokey flavor and not to cook it. I wonder if you could just eat it straight now that you smoke it totally. How high did you take the bellie bacon.

Thanks! In a perfect world I would have cold smoked the bacon, but I had the smoker going and there was room so I tossed it on. Plus, I don't have a good way to cold smoke, yet. The bacon turned out nice and smokey, but it could probably have used more. I honestly don't know how high I took it, probably between 125-150. I pulled it off when it looked like it had some good smoke on it, which was about two hours.

I fried a few pieces up this morning for breakfast:

ef5b9691_IMG_1495.jpg

Looks Great...  The bark on that butt looks great, how was it...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky