First smoke on Smoke Vault under my belt..........

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cahusky

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
Reno NV / Tahoe City CA
Im doing a smoke for 10 family and friends on my new Smoke Vault on Sunday and figured i would break it in today and get some practice. Went with a rack of baby back slathered in mustard and my favorite dry rub as well as a saugage fatty with mushrooms, onion, green and red bell peppers, marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese and some ABT's. The fatty turned out really well. Next time ill use more cheese and probably finish it off with some marinara on top but it was really fricken good. The ABT's may rank right up there as some of the best food Ive ever eaten. I seeded and veined jalepenos and the sliced them in half so we could make 2 out of each pepper. I filled them with a mix of cream cheese, cilantro, 4 mexican cheese blend, pepper and then wrapped the each in a half slice of jimmy dean premium bacon. Jesus Crimmeny those things are good. Very little heat but exploding with flavor.

The ribs on the other hand, sadly, came out rubbery. The flavor was good, the bark was great but they just didn't fall away from the bone as the do when i do them on my webber grill. After years of practice i really was feeling like a rib expert using indirect heat and smoke chips on my gasser and thought it was time to move on to the smoker. Ive got to admit i was pretty saddened by my first effort but am excited to give it another shot on Sunday for the whole family. In the early stages I was having a hard time keeping the temperature steady in the 225-250 range and had it up as high as 295 or 300 at different points. About an hour in I finally felt like i got a grip on the temperature and was able to keep it at around 240 for the remainder of the smoke. I did employ the 2-2-1 as I always do with baby backs but they were still really chewy. Do ya'll think that would be attributable to the innapropriately high temps I was using in the first hour or so? I really thought when i took the foil off I was going to see falling off the bone meat and it just wasnt there.

Oh well, fatty was good, ribs were adequate and tomorrow is another day!

Sorry for no Qview! My girlfiend is on a 50 day tour of Europe and absconded with the digital camera.

Congrats, but pics tell the real story!!
wink.gif

Well, I don't need to see the pics to help you maybe, those high temps could add to the problem of toughing them up and drying them. Did you foil with liquid like apple juice or any liquid for the Braising part? That is the thing that wil braise them for tenderness. I would also go for temps of 225' to smoke them.

Disclaimer: It is only MHOP, I am not an expert BBQ like some people are. I have only cooked thousands of slabs in my 8 years in the restaurant bussiness.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!!
Ron

I did foil them with a mix of apple juice and red wine vinegar that i always use. I think im going to cook up another rack today just to prove to myself that i can do it. Keep the temps at around 225 and again utilize the 2-2-1 method. Ill report my results.

I think you hit the nail on the head that the temps were high at the beginning. Another possibility is that the ribs themselves were tough. Every slab is different. Guess you will just have to sacrifice yourself and cook up some more to perfect them.. the sacrifices we have to make in pursuit of our art, lol.

Congrats on your first smoke in that vault after you have it awhile let me know what you think about it I've been thinking I NEED one
biggrin.gif

Could have been the heat or could have been a very tough meat it happens

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky