First smoke of the season, nothin to brag about

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

skeeter

Smoke Blower
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 19, 2007
Avon MN.
Just completed the first smoke of the season, but I'm not proud of the results. First I put a chicken on with a beer can adapter and no smoke or heat got on the inside of the chicken, back to the open bottom, also I couldn't get it above 162 deg. with a 225 deg fire. I think the water pan was to close to the fire, will spread the two apart next week. Second, my chops didn't turn out the way I thought they would, I think for the same reason, water pan to close to the fire. Also I soaked one chop in apple juice for 30 minutes like someone here suggested, but it came out rather bland.. The best two were the ones with just salt & pepper. Next week we try again, Mrs. Skeeter demands that I perfect the chicken like last year or the new smoker goes back and the old one comes out. Ya all have a great Sunday, it's going to rain here so I won't even bother litin a fire till next sat.

Naw the chicken was on for 5 hours and it was a 3.5 pounder, just need to hone my skills with the new smoker. There is always next weekend/

I always lay my birds flat on the grates.

If you have a new smoker, dont go by the temp 'gauge' that it came with, they are almost always in need of calibration. Use an oven thermometer ($5 from Wallmart) to see what your temps are on the grate. Thats the only reason I can think of. If you had a 225* temp that 3lb bird should have been fried chicken after 5 hours.

New equipment takes some time to learn. Each type has it's own little quirks. Go Fish hit it on the head. Be sure you know the temps!!

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

Thanks Meowy & Randy, I know the temp gauge is off, I put one on the grate and it was off by 50 deg. I look at it this way, half the fun is learning. We re-group and hit her again next Sat.

Great attitude Skeeter ......... Your right half the fun is learning and the other half is eating ........ and drinking ......... and eating ...........

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky