First smoke in my new MES, baby backs, w/ Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

the punisher

Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
I smoked a few racks of baby backs for a little get together we had last night, it was my first time using my new MES smoker and I have to say I love it. I did have a slight problem getting the smoker temp lined out at first but it wasn't all that hard to settle in on a temp. Overall I think the smoker is great and easy to use, I did have to use an oven thermometer in the smoker because the one that came with the MES was off by about 30 degrees. The ribs were a hit with everyone that ate them. Thanks to all on here, I couldn't have done it without this great site!

I rubbed down the ribs with some mustard and then used a store bought dry rub:

I used the 2-2-1 method for these and I think they turned out awesome. During the last hour I did spray them with an apple juice/Captain Morgan mixture, which I think gave them some great flavor.

Congrats on a good looking first smoke
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Now thats a nice way to break in the new smoker.

Always wanted to give the apple/captain spritz a try, sounds like it would be tasty.
Ribs look great, noticed no BBQ sauce on them, that's normally how I do my ribs.

The apple/Captain spritz was really good on the ribs, I would definitely recommend it (and the few sips I had of it weren't bad either). And I don't usually put bbq sauce on my ribs, sometimes I do dip them in a sauce but these were delicious by themselves.

I find that with my MES 30, the longer into the smoke, the closer my ET-73 and the thermo on the MES begin to get closer to one another.

Congrats on your first MES rib smoke, and welcome to the MES owners group.

Since the MES has a bit of trouble with quick recovery, I have stopped spritzing, and just keep the hatch shut. The water tray keeps the cooking heat moist On ribs I do spritz with apple juice and some mixed in fine ground rub when I foil them and also put a little extra juice in the foil wrap which is usually the last hour to 1.5 hours of cooking, (the foiling is done only after some decent pull back, and the rib rack bows some). Some here don't foil and the ribs come out just fine.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky