First Smoke - Happy Father's Day (pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

captnroger

Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
I've never done a successful smoke before, let alone own a "real smoker". So I set out to Walmart to purchase SMS unit (99 buck gasser), thanks to Sporty for the transport as the box wouldn't fit in my truck. Assembled it, and it sat on my back deck for a couple of weeks. Today I decided would be the day to give it a shot.

Off to Giant Eagle for some full spares ($2.29 a lb and they will trim them into full spares, pull the membrane and give you the skirt and extras free of charge.) Got them home and cleaned them up a bit (for reference the cutting board below is 24" wide, big ribs!)

smoke1.jpg

After rubbing yellow mustard and the rub, they are ready for the smoker:

smoke2.jpg

Here they are, loaded in the smoker. I replaced the small smoker box with a 8" cast iron pan loaded with a couple of chunks of mesquite wood.

smoke3.jpg

Fatty Time (sweated down some peppers/onions and threw in some Motz cheese):

smoke6.jpg

smoke7.jpg

Fatty's out of the smoker resting. I used thick bacon, and even though it looks uncooked it's quite crispy. I took the fatty up to 175 before pulling it to give the bacon some extra time.

smoke8.jpg

and this is why you don't trust the built-in themometer. Even though the grill thinks it's 250degrees, the seperate probe on the right confirms 226 even though they are less than an inch apart in the smoker! That's a 24 degree difference!

smoke9.jpg

Fatty cut open (sorry for blurry pic)

smoke10.jpg

3-2-1 method on the ribs. Next time I'll use less rub, but cooking-wise they turned out PERFECT.

smoke14.jpg

smoke15.jpg

I ate way way way too much but OMG so good.

next smoke will be a pork butt, ATBs and another fatty or three.

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

What an awesome looking first smoke
cool.gif

Don't forget the roll call intro when you get a chance , but looks like you are off and runnin'
icon_smile.gif

Looks good man, glad you had the q-view going, i just learned from your pics what a fatty was, looks great and will have to try to do one, can you share the recipe?? great job

Looks great way to break in that new smoker
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Gee, the new guys are coming prepared and know the ropes. I guess they're not so new, Great job
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Thanks guys. I had plenty of tips from a buddy, but it sure wasn't as hard as I thought. I can see at some point in the future going non-gas though, to give me something to "play" with.

As for my beer of choice, if I'm drinking all day it's gotta be ML.

This weekend a pork butt is going on. :)

I'm glad I am not the only one who noticed the beer ... I just can't decide if he is obsessive compulsive and has to set his can down so the logo is facing him every time or if he carefully positioned his beer of choice before each photo.

Other than the beer, which I also put into the "P"water Category, that looks like some mighty fine eating.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky