first smoke ever, BBs problems...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fluffybunny

Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
Hey everyone,
I have been lurking here for a while in advance of purchasing my first house(moved out of an apartment that did not allow grilling) and reading about getting started smoking.

Today is the day that I decided to start. I am having my parents and brother and sister over for some ribs this evening, preperations started a few nights ago...

Thursday night: Purchased ribs from sams..3 racks a little over 8 lbs 24 bucks, not bad like 2.97 a lb.

Friday night, rub the ribs down, mustard and 3 different kinds of store bought rubs, McCormick grill masters pork and apple wood, and famous daves rib rub, I like famous daves the best from the smell. into the frige overnight, to get ready for saturday, notice I forgot to remove the membrane :(

Saturday 1:30ish got the lump going and then into the smoker, minion method with 5 chunks of cherry. Put the ribs on at around 2:00 in the proccess of putting the ribs on remembered that I forgot to remove the membrane. My dad was here helping me and we decided after about 10 min of the ribs on the smoker to remove the membrane from the ribs, even after only 10 min at 275 in the smoker some of the bones were getting very hot to the touch, got all that taken care of.

While taking care of the membranes I left the top of my WSM off and noticed the water in the pan started boiling, knew it was going to be hot, got my themomotor back in there, it was at 325 degrees when I got the ribs back on. Shut down all the vents got the temp to come down, about 10-15 min later it was coming past 290, opened the top up and one of the bottom vents about 25 everything else is closed, holding steady at 280. Keep in mind this is the first run on the WSM and I know it runs hot the first one, Id like to cook at around 275-270 so hopefully it will come back down a bit more.

Will continue updating as the smoke progresses along with some qview of the finished product

Questions:
Did I do the right thing by removing the membrane and then putting a little extra rub on it right before it went back on?

Will it be ok running at the 325 or so for a few min?

I am planning on 2-1.5-1 I am looking for tender, right before fall off the bone ribs, just a little tug needed. Do those times sound right?

Any other words of encouragment, advice, ridicule would be appreciated.

A little bumpy ride butt your ribs should be OK. Check your ribs by picking them up on one end and when they bend down like 90 degrees they should be close to done.
Good luck,

beard

First and foremost Fluffy, Welcome to the SMF forum. Head over to "Roll Call" and tell us about your self so that you can get the welcome you richly deserve.

Answers to your questions.

1. Yes. Always get that membrane off for tasty type ribs. Baby Backs, Spares or Beef, it doesn't matter.

2. You should drop some more water in your pan if you want to lower the temp a little more. I found that the more water, the lower my temps run in my WSM. The less water, the higher it runs. 325° Might be okay but the answer to # 3 is....

3. Your mileage may vary with 325° temps early on. Depending on how long it takes you to get them down, you might want to alter the timing ever so slightly with your process.

Good luck & have some fun. You are off to a good start & don't forget the qview or hey......It didn't happen. Check the link in my sig for exact directions. Someone else will chime in if I am off in my analysis.

Hi!

I'd say ya did the right thing with the membrane. Glad ya caught it in time. 325 for a little bit won't really hurt as long as it comes down. The times should be good. I think you're in fine shape.

Enjoy! I'll be waiting for the Qview...
biggrin.gif

Thanks a lot everyone for your support and knowlage, it is steady now at 280 so I think it will work out ok. I will get some pics here in about another hour when I go to foil them.

Thanks!!

sorry for the double post, qview as prommised. this is after 2 hours right before going into the foil

here we are done with qview, well nearly done, did sauce 2 half racks and put it back in the smoker for 45 min, but none after that, got too busy eating it all will try better next time :)

they came out great, a little bit too fall off the bone, it ended up being about an hour 45 min in the foil, I think an hour, a true hour will get it much more to my liking.

Thanks a lot for your help everyone, got some things to work on next time, cant wait to do it again.

Now your ribs look fine to me. Now I could wish that I was sitting at your kitchen table with alot of napkins and ready for some great tasting ribs
points.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky