First Smoke - Dino Bones - QView

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

teeroy

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 27, 2009
California
Did my first smoke today with my new MES. I went ahead and did beef ribs because I've been doing them in the oven a lot lately and they are one of the main reasons I wanted to get a smoker.

Last night I rubbed them first with Worchestishire sauce then Lucille's Rib Rub. Wrapped them in celophane and let them sit in the fridge overnight. Today I smoked them with hickory. Total smoke time 5 hours with the first 2.5 hours at 225 and second at 235.

Pullback after 5 hours was 1/4 to 1/2 inch so pulled them off. I put a few to the side to eat dry and then sauced up the rest with Lucille's BBQ Sauce and put them on the grill at 400 degrees for 5 minutes each side to slightly carmelize the sauce.

I think they came out great. Very tender but firm enough where you had to bite them off the bone, i.e. you couldn't quite pull the meat off with your fingers. Just how I like them. All in all I'm pretty darn happy with my first smoke and, better yet, got two thumbs up from the wife!!!

Ribs before rub:

Rubbed and ready to wrap and fridge:

Removed from overnight fridge and ready to put in smoker:

After smoking, ready to sauce and grill:

Some bones put off to side to eat dry:

Ribs after sauced and grilled:

Cut and ready to eat:

Hard to tell because it is dark out, but my smoker is dirty now. Woohoo!!!

I have to practice some more over the next couple of weeks because my wife decided that I'm smoking up some pork butt, ribs, and tri-tip for my birthday party. Funny thing is, I don't mind doing the cooking for my bday party if I get to smoke it!!! hehe

Thats not dirty thats flavoring (seasoning)the smoker. Thous ribs look fantanstic
points.gif
and required here for such a great job and those look awful good tasting too.

Not too bad for your first smoke, not bad at all. I love Dino bones and yours look great. Points to you on a job well done.
points.gif

Very nice.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
I rarely do beefies more than 4 to 4 1/2 hours. Those look mighty good just coming off the smoker. I wouldn't have bothered with the grill even.

Those look great - nice job especially for a first smoke!

Nice way to break in the MES.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Thanks everyone. Pressure is on. I have a bunch of family and friends coming over this weekend to try my beef ribs. Kind of scary since it is only my 3rd smoke ever and only my second beef rib smoke. Sort of scared, especially since I'll be smoking 6 racks at once in the MES. Not sure how that will affect my timeframe.

OTOH, I like the pressure. Will make me get my game face on. :)

I'm also making pulled pork in the crock pot (not brave enough to make everything in the smoker yet). And tritip in the rotisserie. Mortons from Costco. Best tasting tritip. Been making it forever in the rotisserie. Can't wait to try one in the smoker, but I think beef ribs will be enough in this outing.

Someday after more practice I'll have the family and friends over to do everything in the smoker. My freezer if full of meat to practice. :)

Doing ribs on the smoker this weekend (first time for beef ribs) and found your thread searching for tips. Looks great !
Gonna do 225 for 4-5 hours - sounds about right.
Thanks for the pics and instuction dude.

Cheers
B2

Afte the first smoke it gets a lot more fun (and addicting) since you become confident enough to try new things! Good luck on the next round and remember to share!

Mac

Great looking ribs, keep up the good practicing.
Get a hankering for some smoked meat?
"Honey, I need to practice a bit more..."
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Great smoke on them ribs, The Q View tells it all. Congrats my friend.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky