First Smoke ( brined chicken thighs)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

azbohunter

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 23, 2013
Home is Glendale, AZ.
Finally got my first smoke behind me with a batch of chicken thighs. Followed a recipe I found on here for brine and for smoke. My wife and I both thought they were very good, I was surprised at how juicy they were, I mean they were full of juice. Both of us thought they were a little salty, she has to watch her salt intake so we don't use a lot of salt on anything. Maybe next time I would either cut down the amount of salt in the brine or the brine time. I did about 6 hours in the brine, maybe too much for thighs.

I did not try to crisp the skin as neither one of us eat it so it wasn't an issue. I did do a little BBQ sauce but only put it on the side. My wife prefers it without and I like a little...

I would do thighs again for sure.

Smoke time 2 1/2 hours, tried to keep smoker at 225 with the ET 732. That seemed very difficult at first but after about an hour into it everything seemed to stabilize. I found quite a discrepancy in the temp showing on my MES 30 which is a gen:1 but that too seemed to stabilize after a time.

I think filling the water pan with sand, doing a longer preheat, and not worrying about it staying within a few degrees will make it easier next time. (felt a little intimidated)

Thanks to those who offered help going towards my first smoke.

Picture of left over thighs!

NICE
DONT BE STINGY

what was the brine you used, please pass it on as there are quite a few...

were they boneless thighs... i see tooth pics  :0)

looks like some great eats

OK, the brine is:

1 cup water

1 cup apple juice

1 can Sprite

1/2 cup Sea Salt

1 T black pepper

then this rub:

2 T Sea Salt

1 1/2 T Granulated Garlic

1 T Granulated Onion

1 tsp Thyme

1 1/2 tsp Paprika

1 tsp Black Pepper

1/2 tsp Dry Mustard (which I just realized I forgot)

brine if refer 6 hours

pulled back skin on (bone in) thighs and applied the rub to meat

wrapped the skin back around the thigh and applied more rub to skin.

secured skin w/toothpick to help hold in moisture

smoked about 2 1/2 hours @ 225 until internal temp was 165.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky