first shoulder

Discussion in 'Pork' started by jetwrench34, Jan 29, 2010.

1. jetwrench34

jetwrench34 Newbie

getting ready to smoke my first pork shoulder and was plaining to go to 145 then foil rap and into the cooler till it gets to 165. just wondering roughly how much time per pound i should figure for. i have a small 5# .

2. placebo

placebo Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

The rule of thumb is 1.5 hours per pound @ 225. Are you slicing?

3. jetwrench34

jetwrench34 Newbie

thinking pulled maybe slice some

4. grillin_all_day

grillin_all_day Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

If you're going to do pulled, you'll want to get to 165, then foil. After that, I take mine to 205, then wrap it in a couple of towels, throw it into a cooler, then throw an old blanket over it for about 1.5-2 hrs to let the juices re-distribute.

5. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I would also smoke it to 165* and then foil it and then take it to about 200 or so and then towel and cooler it for atleast an hour if not more and then you could slice some and then pull the rest. It should be really tender.

6. the dude abides

the dude abides Master of the Pit OTBS Member

What ^^^they^^^ said.

7. fire it up

fire it up Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks like I'm in good company because I'm with all these guys, 165 and foil, 205 and wrap and rest minimum one hour and I have held them that way for up to 6 hours before pulling.

8. jetwrench34

jetwrench34 Newbie

foil and leave in smoker till 200 or in cooler till 200?

9. fatback joe

fatback joe Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Smoker......cooler after it hits 200

10. donnylove

donnylove Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

Temperature may increase very slightly after you take it off the smoker and put it in the cooler, but not by much. The reasoning for putting your fully-cooked butt in the cooler is to allow the juices to redistribute throughout the meat (they've all run to the center to get away from the heat) before slicing. Good luck and don't forget to post pics!