First Run on the WSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

placebo

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 24, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Busy day yesterday. Had 320 landscaping stones dropped off that I had to get moved to the backyard. Due to that I didn't get started as early as I wanted to which resulted in me running out of time. I wanted to pull this chuckie but I had to slice/chop instead. Still tasted great fortunately! A few notes. I used a bag of Frontier lump that I had. I'll go back to Royal Oak for the next smoke. Since I was busy moving blocks I didn't take time to tend to the fire at all and I'm pretty sure not all the lump burned up. The temp control was really stupid easy for a charcoal smoker, I'm very pleased with that! It was even a windy day yesterday and that didn't seem to make any difference on the ease of controlling temps. Sorry for the crummy phone pics, my only option at the moment. Think I'm gonna light her up again today and do some steaks. Thanks for lookin!
d1e6f43e_vbattach24723.jpg

b256f906_vbattach24722.jpg

b80e0edd_vbattach24721.jpg

bff154d1_vbattach24720.jpg

5e9a994a_vbattach24724.jpg

39be96b3_vbattach24725.jpg

10d32c99_vbattach24726.jpg

beda68f9_vbattach24727.jpg

Great looking chuckie. I love sliced chuckie. I have never pulled one but will probably have to try it some time. I have been using the Frontier brand lump since they have 40 lb bags on sale at Sams Club and I really like it.

Good looking Chuckie, Did the wind cause the cooking time to increase or ??
We are having 10-15 mi winds to day and wanted to try something but Gust comes along and almost blows the BBQ over...

You couldn't be more correct on the " stupid easy" part... I fired my new 1 up last night at midnight.. After an hour of watching it to make sure it was gonna hold the temp, i went to bed .. Got up 7 hours later and was still sitting within 10 degrees of where i left.. Luv the wsm !!! Great looking chuckie too !!
biggrin.gif

Broke mine in yesterday, and I didn't know what to do with myself. I would pop my head out the back door every hour or so, but aside from a couple vent adjustments towards the end of my cook, I never touched it.

I don't think the wind had any effect on the cooking time, it was holding temps with no problem at all. I just didn't get in on early enough lol.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky