First Rump Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bbqking

Original poster
May 27, 2010
Northern VA
I decided it was time to break in the new smoker on Saturday. It is a recent purchase (see my review) and I did use it once before for some country style ribs earlier in the week but that was on a "school night". Because of time constraints they only got 45 minutes of hickory smoke and then I finished them on the grill. With such a short time exposed to the smoke I was quite pleased with how much taste was imparted into them.

Well it was time to try a rump roast. Not my first choice, but the cut that was most readily available. I marinated it for a couple of hours and injected it with a mixture of EVOO, Dr. Pepper (after shaking the carbonation out), garlic powder, onion powder and cajon seasoning. It then got a good rub of Dizzy Pig "Cow Lickin" seasoning.

cdf2b25a_100_0672.jpg

Some red wine went in the liquid pan and the mesquite chunks into the smoker box. I was very pleased with how easy it was to maintain a constant 225-230. Wood and liquid was added about every 2 to 2-1/2 hours during the next few hours.

Here it is about 2-1/2 hours into the smoke.

0965e048_100_0674.jpg

I wasn't sure how well it would show up in a photo so I attempted a video, none the less I was thrilled to see the TBS throughout the afternoon.

Here it is before wrapping it in towels and setting it in the cooler

c5b0ec33_100_0683.jpg

Showing off the nice smoke ring

cefc1ceb_100_0686.jpg

The GF wanted it medium, I would have preferred it med rare, but it was still quite juicy and extremely tender.

704fb2b5_100_0688.jpg

With the smoked squash (I'm not a squash fan, but she is)

ef05a88e_100_0689.jpg

My plate, smoked small white potatoes and yes, everything tastes better with cheese!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Reactions: mballi3011
icon_cool.gif

Man oh Man that roast looks off the chain and I'm with your wife and that squash looks awesome and I think that i'm heading for the store now. I just noticed that this is your first post. So welcome to SMF your higness and can you swing into Roll Call and introduce yourself and your equipment please.

Last edited:
Welcome to SMF!!!

Next time you smoke a hunk o beef ,smoke it to rare.

Then if someone wants a slice of medium  you slice it and throw in on the pit or in the skillet for a quick sear to medium.

And you get your rare beef.

Thanks to all for the kind remarks and advice. Shame on me, I don't know where my manners are. I will introduce myself properly in roll call.
icon_redface.gif

Great looking first post. Congrats and welcome to SMF. I am with Mark on the squash. Love it in all forms

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky