First RF smoker- 115 gal propane tank

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I cut the opening to the cooker.  I had a few beers and got a little caviler with the cut.  It's gonna take some work to make it look pretty but it's progress no less.

Finally got the inside and most of the outside of the firebox de zinc'd.  I'm pretty sure I have some chemical burns on my arms and legs but at least my lungs and eyes made it through w/o any noticeable damage.  More to come. 

Below you can see what I refer to as the Corona Light line.  

With a new cut on the Corona line, the box fits good enough for a MIG weld.

From the inside before grinding off slag.

I chopped my chimney stack down to 26 inches after I figured that the stack height should measure from the inlet of the firebox (not from the top of the tank) to the top of the chimney.  Anyone disagree?

Last edited:
After you cut off the stack.....  Are you kidding....   Not me....    It's perfect.......   Dave

From Feldon's calculator....

Chimney Size
Enter the diameter of your chimney pipe to find out how long it should be.
  • A chimney that is too short may produce insufficient draft (drawing of air). A chimney that is too long may cause the air to cool before it exits, reducing effective draft and worse, dripping of exhaust materials onto food!
  • Many horizontal smokers have an exhaust between 30-40 inches in length, but there is no hard and fast formula.
  • If you are building a horizontal smoker with a vertical cooking cabinet, realize that the cabinet partly acts as an exhaust, thus you may greatly shorten the chimney.

bbqcalculator_diagram.png

Last edited:
Nope......  just pointing out what Feldon recommends...  Stack above the cook chamber..  That's where they calculate the stack length/volume from....  Hey...  It could work perfect.....  If you are having issues with the smoker, add a length of stove pipe and tune it in....  then add, weld a piece on if needed....   Like they say, there's no hard and fast rule for an exhaust stack or any of the other stuff they have put in the formula....   If the stack is inserted into the cook chamber, we recommend the original length/volume be used above the cook chamber, and additional length, inside the smoker, be added to the calculated length....     

Dave

To me, at this point it would be about aesthetics. As long as you are using Feldon's recommendations any size will work. You may want to hold a piece of 4, 5 or 6 in. pipe there to see how it looks in regards to the size of you smoker. I know a guy that builds 250 gal. RF smokers that uses 6" and it really look good. I understand using what you have laying around, we do the same but you don't want your stack to look disproportionate to the rest of your build, Just a thought.

Gary 

It is my understanding that the calculator was developed based on the dimensions of cookers that were observed to work, and that those cookers had many characteristics in common. The formulas in the calculator were not based on scientific calculations. There is a lot of leeway in chimney design on a cooker, and yours should work, and as Dave said, it is easy to change if needed.

Thanks for the background on the calculator SJ, critical information.

I'm gonna roll with it as described.  The only significant deviation from the calculator would be my stack length and height.  I stuck close to the diameter and all of the other suggestions.

Thanks again everyone for your input.  It'll be fun to see what happens.

Be sure and post some pictures I really like to watch the progress on everyone's build.

Gary

It is my understanding that the calculator was developed based on the dimensions of cookers that were observed to work, and that those cookers had many characteristics in common. The formulas in the calculator were not based on scientific calculations. There is a lot of leeway in chimney design on a cooker, and yours should work, and as Dave said, it is easy to change if needed.
SJ, afternoon.......   Very good info......  I often wondered how that formula was derived...    Makes perfect sense....   build it.....  if it works, take the dimensions and add a disclaimer.....   that's the same way I do stuff......     Perfect......   Seems the original plan and calculator works very well....

Dave

......   Seems the original plan and calculator works very well....

Dave
Evening Dave,

Yep, it works well. It was first created almost 7 years ago, and saw some improvements as more cookers were measured for comparrison, and as more cookers were built using it.

Seems that stack dimensions are a recurring area of ambiguity. I have been meaning to gather up some data and post a few guidelines for stack dimensions when I can find the time.

Don't want to hijack this thread though, so I'll leave it at that.

It has been a very helpful tool for me, a good guideline. The first smoker I built was around 1984, It was a combo grill and SF smoker. It seemed to work well, but I really didn't have anything to compare it with. That is why I Love this site !!!!

Gary

Maybe this weekend you will have some more pictures to share. We are hoping that the weather starts to cool down so we can get started on another build. We have one sitting in the pipe stands ready to get started and another laying on the ground..

Gary

I understand completely, been a long time for me I have grandkids  2 boys 16, 1 granddaughter just turned 22 and a new 6 week old grandson. But I remember that at that age you are pretty well at their mercy.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky