First RF build and I need some tech help.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

butchms

Original poster
Aug 29, 2010
I an new to the site and have a case of Smokin Feaver. I have low vision and use a screen reader on the computer. It will not read the format of the Reverse Flow Calculator . Can someone help me to find the answers to these questions?

1- the cooking chamber size is 22D x 48W . What size round fire box is needed?

2- What size should the fire box opening be in the cooking chamber?

3-What size gap is needed at the end of the baffle plate be?

4 What size and heith should the stack be?

5- I know this maybe a dub one. Is the drain left open while cookin of is it just cleaned after a cook?

I want to thank each of you in advance for your help.

Thats the same size smoker I am getting ready to build.  Using the DODIS' BBQ calculator this is what I found based of your dims given.

I am taking for granted the diameter of the firebox you would be using is the same diameter, so it would need to be at least 16 long.  You can go bigger. 

Other dimension that might come in handy.

Smoker Volume: 18237.12 cubic inches

Firebox Volume: 6079 ci

Square Firebox: 18.25" cube

Alright, firebox to chamber opening is 48.63 square inches

You will need 18.25" square of firebox openings (vents):

Exhaust diameter : 5" at 15.5" long or 4" at 24" long

I an new to the site and have a case of Smokin Feaver. I have low vision and use a screen reader on the computer. It will not read the format of the Reverse Flow Calculator . Can someone help me to find the answers to these questions?

1- the cooking chamber size is 22D x 48W . What size round fire box is needed?

***18 - 24 will get you really close

2- What size should the fire box opening be in the cooking chamber?

***I am not 100% sure on this one  I have a 300 gallon reverse flow and mine is 6" tall and the width of the tank

3-What size gap is needed at the end of the baffle plate be?

***Again not 100% sure, I stopped mine 6" from the end. 

4 What size and heith should the stack be?   

***5" diameter, 15.5" tall

5- I know this maybe a dub one. Is the drain left open while cookin of is it just cleaned after a cook?

***Leave it open if you want it all to drain out, or close it and put water or whatever liquid you want to evaporate into the meat/chamber.

I want to thank each of you in advance for your help.

Good luck and post lots of pics :)

I am ssorry I didn't put in my firebox size. I have a piece of 14D x24L 5/16 pipe that i was going to use. It would be close in area to the 22 inch if I had it

22 x 16L= 7.65 sqft

14 x 24=  7.32 sqft

I hope I am right regarding sqft mass producing the same result. The entire cooking chamber will be made of 1/4 plate. The 14D pipe will weigh approx 100lb. I am conserened about the 1/4 plate warping from the weight  and heat of the firebox. I would like some feedback on this issue.

1- Is the stack height quote with it being flush at the top of the cooking chamber?

2- With a rounf vet opening on the firebox. What are some ideas on ways to get the 18 sq in needed/\?

3- I might have missed it. What abot gap size at the end of the baffel ?

Guys you have been a great help. THANKS TO EVERYONE.

w

I am ssorry I didn't put in my firebox size. I have a piece of 14D x24L 5/16 pipe that i was going to use. It would be close in area to the 22 inch if I had it

22 x 16L= 7.65 sqft

14 x 24=  7.32 sqft

I hope I am right regarding sqft mass producing the same result. The entire cooking chamber will be made of 1/4 plate. The 14D pipe will weigh approx 100lb. I am conserened about the 1/4 plate warping from the weight  and heat of the firebox. I would like some feedback on this issue.

1- Is the stack height quote with it being flush at the top of the cooking chamber?

***The bottom of the pipe outlet in my 300 gallon RF is flush with the middle cooking grate so that it will pull the smoke across the meat.

2- With a rounf vet opening on the firebox. What are some ideas on ways to get the 18 sq in needed/\?

***Multiple vents, or a larger one.

3- I might have missed it. What abot gap size at the end of the baffel ?

***Not 100% sure on this, mine is 6", same as the opening between the chamber and firebox.

Guys you have been a great help. THANKS TO EVERYONE.

GOOD LUCK

w

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky