first racks of ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

azweepei

Original poster
Dec 17, 2005
Mesa AZ
Just got done serving my first attempt at ribs of the spare kind. Everyone raved!!! Next time i will use the 3-2-1 method. I used the EXACT directions off Jeff's suggestions along with his rub and sauce (on the side of course). I think the 3-2-1- method will produce an even juicier rack. I really stressed out about the 'hot spot' and actually lost a few of the ribs due to this phenomenon but all in all it was a very good smoke for my first attempt.

If any of you *ahem* Old Timers have any suggestions, i will be more than thankful for your input.

What you cooking on AZ?

I was a 3-2-1 preacher a while back, but now the "3" section is the part that is different for each piece of meat.

I call the "3" the average time before the meat starts pulling back from the bones.

Once in a while, a rack of spares might pull back in a little under 3 hours. Baby Backs are almost always under 3 hours. You mentioned the hot spot, thats the area that might be sooner.

But in non hot spot area's, I have sat on a rack of spares for 6 hours before it started pulling back, then I sprayed and wrapped for 2 hours, then uncovered for glaze.

So, my point, is that don't stick to 3-2-1 as hard and fast rules. Rather, its a guidleline, that can be adjusted when you just get that tough ol rack that wants to take its time.

Search the term "bacon wrapped skinnies" for something to do while you wait :)

I am using the Char Griller texas style smoker with side fire box which was purchased at Lowes home imp warehouse http://www.chargriller.com/ . I am using a good mesquite lump charcoal and big chunks of smoking wood.(this time it was oak) The hot spot is the area closest to the smoke inlet to the smoking chamber. Ya know, where the SFB meets the main body...Anyway; I decided to smoke 4 racks at once as to increase my chances of at least successful rack.I yeilded 3.25 successfull racks so i really cant complain, besides, no one else complained either.

Back to the task at hand. So what youre saying is, when the meat starts to pull away from the bone, that is the point at which to spray and wrap? and once wrapped, should you open the wrap and spray ever hour or so or leave it closed for the 2 hours? Thanks for all the great input youse guys.With all this wealth of information at my disposal, i may become a pitmaster yet.

OMG!!! why dint i think of that!!!!(stupid x 3) Thank you Crazyhorse for that link. That knowledge will help out temendously!!!

BTW that is a nice avatar, i have seen the painting b4

AZ-once you wrap the ribs in foil, put them back in the smoker and leave them alone. Before I close up the foil I pour about 1/2 cup of apple juice over each rack. Don't need to baste/spray when they are wrapped.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky