First Rack of Smoked Ribs.....Live from Wisconsin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinnwi

Original poster
May 21, 2009
Hi, my name is Jason, I'm 30 yrs old and have been grilling meat since I was 15. I know how to grill up some terrific meat.....however, I've never smoked before. I was given a Brinkmann Cimmaron last year as a gift, and have yet to use it. Well.....the time has come and I'm looking for some advice. First, I'm going to grill some ribs over the holiday weekend and am looking for advice for temperature, rubs and cooking time. In the past I've always basted with sauces, since I lacked a good rub. So anyone with a great rub recipe, please help me out....also, what kind of wood should I use to attain the perfect flavor that isn't too smoky, but yet still has that smoked meat attribute.

welcome, lots of rub recipes floating around here, look into the pork section and you'll find out all the variations of rib cooking styles, the arguments of foiling and not foiling and so on. That cimarron is a nice little cooker. I would use apple or pear wood if you are looking for a very light smoke flavor.

Look on the left side of the page under "How to articles by Jeff." Read the one titled "3-2-1 Rib Method." I am not saying it is the only way or even the best way but it is a great place to start and will turn out some great ribs. I would also suggest buying spare ribs and trimming them to St.Louis style ribs. Other more experienced folks will chime in hopefully!

Welcome, I would recommend taking the 5day e-course. Find the tab on the left. It has a lot of info. Apple is wood of choice when people want just a touch of smoke. It has a real mild taste. There is a lot of rub recipes here,look under rubs and sauces.

Tip: In the 3-2-1 method found on the left hand side of this page.
During the first 3 hour period at the start of the method, instead of using time as your guide check when the ribs start to pull back from the ends of the bones about 1/4 of an inch. Thats when they are ready to foil. Baby backs will cook faster than some of the other larger cuts of ribs and may only require 2-2-1 instead of 3-2-1.
You will get quite good judging this after doing ribs a few times.

A lot of us just do a straight smoke for 5-6 hours without the foil part. Again you get so that you can tell just by looking when they are done to perfection. The foil method is quite forgiving.

As for rubs you cannot go wrong with Jeff's rub recipe In my opinion.

By buying spices in bulk and mixing up your own rub you can get about a gallon of rub for about what 4 oz of store bought rub will cost you, a huge saving.

By the way Welcome to the SMF , glad to have you here.

Aloha.....Welcome Aboard..You'll find a lot of supportive people here. You've already got some solid tips. Have fun and share some Q views when you can.

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you aboard.

Welcome! Tons and tons of great info here, and just as many nice folks.

Best,
Trout

When I first got my charcoal smoker given to me last year it was before I discovered this forum. I used a spin on a rub I found on about.com

http://bbq.about.com/od/rubrecipes/r/bl91211a.htm

I did no 3-2-1 methods or anything else. Just smoked them to temp. Everyone around me said they were the best ribs they had ever had, and have made them the same on several occasions now and still the same reactions. At some point I might try the 3-2-1 method, to see if I get more juicy flavorful ribs or something, but frankly they taste so good and have been recieved so well I haven't bothered yet. It was quite a sight to see my on my first smoke that nice delicious smoke ring. Have fun, you're gonna love this hobby, we'll your taste buds will anyways, and since you're from Wisconsin like me I know that some cold beer will get you through any long smoke.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky