First Pork Shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jverdin

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
Janesville, WI
So, here are the first images of my Pork Shoulder (Butt). Ea. Approx. 14lbs. I'm using the Spicy recipe for the one on the right and Jeff's rub on the left.

file.jpg

file.jpg

Keep the pics comen, i got a picnic on now, been on for 10 1/2 hours, just hit 160*, I'll be up for a while.

She'll stall out at 160 to 170 for a really long time. Be patient and eventually the heat will kick in and take her up to 200.

AJ,

you read my mind. Actually I was kind of worried I started out about 5 hours ago and I'm at 170. I was wondering if it was cooking to fast.

Well, that is a tad bit fast according to my past history. But there are so many variables that can contribute to that.

Do you know how hot your smoker is right now? The goal would be to have it around 225 to 230.

right now 225 90% of the time its been between 240 and 180. However for like 3 minutes it got up to 300. My smoker seems to be very sensitive when adding wood to it. So it jumps around a lot. I've read other post from users complaining of the samething.

Hello all I am new here I am a newbie as well and usu an upright gas smoker. I started with brisket just because it was my favorite but I tried a pork but for the first time this weekend. I used a guide from a different site before finding this one. I smoked it for about 16 hrs but had the same trouble as read here. The temp on my shoulder reached 170 in about eight hours or so and was as hot as the smoker in about twelve. I was wondering if I should take it off as soon as it makes 180. Just starting to search this site now so if this has already been addressed if some one could link me it would be appreciated.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky