First pork shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

guruatbol

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 8, 2013
New Harmony Utah
OK, yesterday we put a 6# pork shoulder on the MES 30.  We used our favorite rub which seems very much the same as many here use.

We started it at 11:00 AM at 225.  We cooked it to an IT of 190 and I have to say it took way longer than we thought.  It came off the smoker at 9:00 PM.

We pulled it and served on toasted garlic buns.

It was awesome!

This was just incredible!

Mel

Congrats on your first shoulder. Glad it came out for you. Nice looking bark! Doesn't look like your first one!

I can almost smell it through the screen... nice job for your first shoulder!

Don't be too surprised if/when a 6# bone-in butt takes 12+ hours smoke @ low temps around 225* or so...

We have determined that with four people and wanting left overs for two days 6# is not enough.

We have one more to do since they cam in a two pack at Costco.  Next is a brisket.  Gotta find one I like and a recipe.

I will likely do some cheese tomorrow and check the butcher shop for a nice brisket.  If it is too much I am going to try a spatchcock chicken.

I do love this hobby.  So too does the family.  There are just so many things I want to try.  I need to get my hands on some good seafood so a trip to Vegas is in order to the seafood market.  For the rest to keep cost down, I am just going to have to build some corrals and get a beef and a pig and a lamb.  Maybe some chickens and of course Pheasant!

I just gotta get rich or sell my 65 Mustang.  (Not likely)

Mel

When the cook says, that what he cooked was not enough, I think you must have done a good job!

BTW here's my rule of thumb on timing (guesstimation)  If you are cooking low and slow, >230 estimate 2 hours per pound., if using the also newly approved fast method, estimate 1 1/2 hours/pound.

Also if you are cooking in an electric smoker and are one of those who like to peek, check, mop, spritz, sauce, poke and prod, add another 1/2 hour/pound.

AND whatcha gonna do with peasants? Make 'em feed and clean the stalls? Its illegal to have peasants anymore.... Wait, what? Pheasants not peasants? Nevermind........

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky