First Pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lancerh

Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
Thanks to other people's posts I decided to try a pastrami this weekend. I bought a 4lb. corned beef and soaked it overnight to remove the salt. I did not do the fry test but changed the water about 3 times. I made a rub consisting of mostly black pepper and corriander but added a little garlic powder and mustard seed, I also added the spices that came with the corned beef.

Started smoking about 8:30 in the morning in the MES at 225 using cherry wood.

433d267f_InSmoker.jpg

It took a good 11 hours to reach 165 where it was pulled and then into the oven over a pan of boilig water and wrapped in foil at 250 degrees. I decided to do this after reading some other posts and since my last two beef briskets turned out a little on the dry side.

502a4706_FinishedPastrami.jpg

After 3 hours in the oven the pastrami was wrapped in foil and I let it rest for a couple of hours before slicing.

3b5fe726_CutPastrami.jpg

My son and I shared a sandwich at about midnight. Delicious if I do say so myself. Since it was my first one I only made one so the next day it was gone. Next time I will make two!

daf2df41_Sandwich.jpg

My first pastrami was sheer accident.  My other half had a corned beef in the slow cooker when the power went out.  What to do?  Being the genius and cheapscate that I am, I fired up the smoker and finished it off.  Way back then, I didn't even know I was making pastrami.  It sure came out good.  Now I am making pastrami the better way all the time.  LOLOL

Good luck and good smoking!

Nice job! The sammie looks delicious. Pastrami is one of my favorites. I have a brisket in the fridge thawing out right now. It's destined to be pastrami.

Excellent job!.  I use the same rub and steaming the meat near the end of cooking is a winning method for me.  My daughter was in town for the Gasparella parade.  She really enjoyed the pastrami I made when she was home for winter break.  I cooked one up for her and prepackaged it in individual packages.  I love it when my kids want me to make stuff for them.  I love the stuff, my wife hates it.  At least I have one person I can cook it for besides myself.

Very Nice! A whole lot better that store bought. I like to stock up on them in March for the rest of the year, I figure 1 a month in the freeze, I just smoked my last one from last year in Feb.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky