First pastrami questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

billhilla

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 9, 2012
Omaha, NE
I read Jeff's article the other day on making pastrami, but I can't find it now.  I have been soaking my corned beef overnight changing the water every hour or so.  I am going to slather some dijon on next and then rub the spices in and let it set for 3 -4 hours.

I plan on smoking it today, but I can't remember what temp to use and what is the target IT.  I have a Masterbuilt 40" electric smoker and the brisket is 3.5 lbs.

I plan on steaming it tomorrow with a crab boil packet (another helpful hint from this site), but I don't know what IT it is supposed to be after steaming.

An input would be greatly appreiated!

Hey Bill,

I keep about 225*-240* and pulled my last one at 165*, foiled, rested in cooler an hour or so then into the fridge overnight. Sliced the next day.

Hope this helps. Don't forget to post pics and info. You know we like to drool at the pics.
drool.gif

Steve

Last edited:
Thanks for getting back to me!

I was sure that Jeff's article said to smoke the brisket to 195 and then foil it up and let it stand overnight and then steam it the next day after IT was around 210.

I am a little concerned now on what temp to pull it at now.

I have taken pics of the process so far and will take more during/after the smoke and steaming.  I don't know how to post them on this website, but I'm sure I can get it figured out.

Thank you for the links!!!

I just pulled the brisket from the frig after 3 hours with the mustard and spice.  Getting the MES 40 up to 225 now and plan on using AMNPS apple wood pellets.

I read several different articles on how to make pastrami and there are a few different methods.  I decided on the following:

Soak the corned beef for 24 hrs, changing the water several times.  Pat it dry and apply mustard base with spice rub and let it sit in frig for 3 hrs.

Preheat smoker to 225 and I decided on apple wood pellets for smoke flavor.  I am going to smoke the brisket until internal temp is about 150 - 155.

I am going to steam the brisket after smoking for a couple of hours with a crab boil bag in the water.

I have taken progress pics and will continue to take pics at each step.  Tonight, I'll see if I can figure out how to get the pics up here!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky