first pastrami going in the MES 40.

Discussion in 'Beef' started by jsanders, Jan 15, 2010.

1. jsanders

jsanders Fire Starter

I've got it rinsed, soaked and rubbed. Now to the smoke. I guess I'll set the MES 40 to 250 and take the meat to 190 then foil and put in cooler for a couple of hours...till I get to the lake.

I'll get qview loaded soon. I owe ya'll a ton of pics from holiday smokes but just got lazy, drunk, full... you pick which excuse you like.

2. Sounds good. I want to get one going since I am out. Make sure to post some pics.

3. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

If you let it rest in the fridge overnite before slicing it will be easier. Looking forward to seeing the qview

4. fire it up

fire it up Smoking Guru OTBS Member

When doing pastrami it isn't necessary to take it as high of a temp as you would a regular brisket.
    With the brisket it is a lot tougher so it needs to reach those temps but with the curing of the meat it will become much more tender and is fine to pull at lower temps.
    I have pulled them off at 165 and up to 180 and have found that anywhere in that area seems perfect.
    One trick I love to do on pastrami is to completely cool it after smoking and then the next day place into a pot on a rack and steam it for a few hours before slicing.
    Good luck with your first strami!