First jab at pork shoulders

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

larosa94x

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 22, 2015
My cousin and her husband had a gender reveal party over the weekend for the little one on the way and I volunteered to do the cooking. This was also my first go at pork shoulders, two eight pounders... Needless to say they came out absolutely perfect.

A total of 17 hours in the pit. Put them in at 8Am hit my stall at about 3-4 Oclock at 145 internal and it slowly crept to 153 over a 5-6 hour window then I foiled them at 153 around 9-10 oclock and then pulled them at 1pm (205F) foiled wrapped and in the cooler til 3pm shredded and finished with a super tasty cider vinegar finishing sauce then into the fridge for the following day.

Oh and in case anyone was wondering, it's a boy!

Here's the butts unpackaged and cross hatched because mo bark is mo better

http://s1343.photobucket.com/user/N...5-42DB-8D92-8104DA52A619_zpswpihcup2.jpg.html

Butts getting a mustard bath

http://s1343.photobucket.com/user/N...C-4E0F-8ADB-CA85E2DDD4C8_zpsmbqzeugc.jpg.html

Butts rubbed down, I went with jeffs rub on these. First time using that rub and MAN! Was it tasty

http://s1343.photobucket.com/user/N...0-4A85-92CC-2EDA9BFAE4D5_zpsxfsk2swd.jpg.html

And what the heck might as well enjoy a morning Cohiba with a French press full of a papanu geanu roast

http://s1343.photobucket.com/user/N...E-4998-B621-A0245ACC51C8_zpsvjwoawu5.jpg.html

Butts 3-4 hours in. Getting some real nice colors

http://s1343.photobucket.com/user/N...5-4A8C-9845-25751B207822_zpsyhcyrhet.jpg.html

Both butts getting wrapped in foil then into the cooler.. Just looking at them made them start falling apart!

http://s1343.photobucket.com/user/N...5-49DD-9C7F-8F505994E768_zpsun2mw7lm.jpg.html
http://s1343.photobucket.com/user/N...F-437A-9C60-BAAF2B17AADF_zps5dsizm1e.jpg.html

Two butts worth.

http://s1343.photobucket.com/user/N...2-4129-A98C-69A4049CF3D1_zps7ozmzilo.jpg.html

Close up of the bark goodness

http://s1343.photobucket.com/user/N...C-4FAE-8E49-18898ABD4E82_zps4mpan9el.jpg.html

Last edited:
Looks tasty! I'm putting 4 on in a couple days, I hope they come out as nice! What finishing sauce did you use?

The crowd loved it. Everyone had at least seconds and thirds

The finishing sauce I used was actually found on these forums by a member named "SoFlaQuer" it calls for
1 cup cider vinegar
2 TBS brown sugar
1 tsp Cajun seasoning
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp red pepper flakes

Bauch you gotta try that sauce man it adds another flavor level as if there weren't enough flavors to begin with!

Last edited:
I think it's The same sauce I used a few weeks ago. I think I labelled it Jeff's finishing sauce. I agree with you 100%! I don't know if I really craved pork shoulder until I started using finishing sauce, now I'm hooked. That's kind of why I was curious about what you used. Actually my wife got hooked on just the creole seasoning on its own too. I had to get a new one for the same finishing sauce for this smoke! 40 pounds of pork shoulder tomorrow, Wish me luck!

Bauch,
Couldn't have said it better myself, the finishing sauce really sets it off. The only thing I hate about reaching new milestones in the barbecue scene is that it's becoming increasingly harder for me to go to barbecue joints and enjoy it when I know I make better at the house... It's just so easy to go out sometimes haha..

40 pounds! Buddy! Sounds like you're cooking for a crowd and if not... You'll be eating good for the next few days!

Believe it or not these pictures were taken with my trusty dusty iPhone 6. I've found if you upload them to photobucket first then use the

Haha! I hear you, it started with not being able to order steaks and has now moved to BBQ period! Upside is no prep and cleaning!

Yes, 40 pounds today25 pounds brisket thurs night. I'm cooking for my unit as a fund raiser. I posted a thread on it to get advice. I'll update tonight, but everyone agreed doing pork a few days out was best bet. I prepped until 2 am last night and fired it up this morning. I have one of my Marines watching now! I had to go off a run and get a break, working and smoking is distracting!
The raw ingredients
Prepping the beans (recipe from this forum!)
The smoke starts and the Marine I grabbed and put in charge of thermo
My beat up rig in the desert sun with my prepped pork waiting!

Looks pretty darn good. I may have to get back in the action again. And welcome to the forum.

Great minds think alike! I did the same yesterday: started my butt at about 10am, drank my french pressed Columbia Granja La Esperanza Geisha (frickin' paid $32 for half pound but it was delicious!), mid day moved onto a couple of Southern Tier IPAs with a La Flor de Nicaragua cigar, and eventually pulled it around 8 just in time to take to poker.

Bauch!
Looks good man dying for some Q view! How did you and the guys like that finishing sauce? Thank you for your service as well friend!

Thanks flat, and cranky!

Saywhut,
never had the souther tier how was it? Check out Westbrook brewing. They make an IPA and so far it's the best IPA I've had the pleasure of ingestion into my big fat gut- hahaha. It's a brewery in charleston I got to tour on a "brews-cruise" when the family and I rented a house over the summer.

Last edited:
Bauch!
Looks good man dying for some Q view! How did you and the guys like that finishing sauce? Thank you for your service as well friend!

Thanks flat, and cranky!

Saywhut,
never had the souther tier how was it? Check out Westbrook brewing. They make an IPA and so far it's the best IPA I've had the pleasure of ingestion into my big fat gut- hahaha. It's a brewery in charleston I got to tour on a "brews-cruise" when the family and I rented a house over the summer.
Southern Tier makes some really good beers. Theyre not the best, but definitely better than alot others. Theyre Iniquity is prolly the best, but i havent seen it around in a while. But try their Gemini, Unearthly, Live, and 2XIPA, those are some of my top ones from there. They have others like Choklat, Choklat Oranj, 2Xpresso, and Mokah that are suppose to be really good but im not big on flavored beers like that. If you have a chance stop at their brewery, they have some of the best food

Bauch!

Thanks flat, and cranky!

Saywhut,
Thank you! Haven't served it yet! Foam recommended I do the pulled pork a few days out on another thread of mine (70 Marines against a Bar B Chef) because I have limited space on the smoker and so Ive had a steady 3 day smoke! First was the pork, then I finished smoking the beans yesterday and started my 20 Ibs of brisket last night. 1130 is when everyone lines up and gives their verdict, but I've had our entire compound filled with Smokey goodness for three days and so I think we should be good. I tasted the pork yesterday and I may have used a little too much finishing sauce (vinegary), again Foam recommended I reheat with some apple juice mixed with honey to cut it down. I don't want to hijack your thread so I may post a pic or two, but I can IM you some more pics or you can check them out on my other thread! Let me know!

Also Stone Brewery dominates all, they have a smoked porter that goes well with any meat or cigar!

Yup, that sure did turn out nice.     Was that a stoneware pan you had in there for drippings?   It almost looked like a Pampered chef pan.    How is it for clean up?    I've just been using foil pans, but have a lot of stoneware.

Cael, yeah that was a pampered chef stoneware. I throw my beans in there with all the pork dripping and it makes the beans that much better.
The stoneware isn't to bad to clean up, I just let it soak in some soapy water for a day or two and it usually comes right out.

The crowd loved it. Everyone had at least seconds and thirds

The finishing sauce I used was actually found on these forums by a member named "SoFlaQuer" it calls for
1 cup cider vinegar
2 TBS brown sugar
1 tsp Cajun seasoning
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp red pepper flakes

Bauch you gotta try that sauce man it adds another flavor level as if there weren't enough flavors to begin with!
That's the finishing sauce I use on my PP.  I always have a bottle of that in the fridge.  Great stuff.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky