First fatty, tips help suggestions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hdbrs

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 12, 2015
Ok so I'm gonna try a fatty and I figured I would include you fine ppl here at smf. Well first thing was the fatty, and actually it went very well. I rolled the sausage in a bag and used sharp cheddar cheese, baby spinach, a bell pepper and a shallot. I gave the sausage a spog sprinkle, added the stuffing, rolled on parchment paper, then added to the bacon weave. I've been trying different ways to get good consistent temp and I've decided to try this I will be using the water pan empty and figure on a temp in the 250 range. I want to get things going around 1, give the wsm at least an hour to get dialed in and tbs flowing then put the fatty on around 2 230.

Last edited:
I've never did cools like that but I thought I'd give it a shot, will I be able to get 250 out of that setup in you guys opinion?

Well I will say this, a smashing success. I had to improvise a little due to temp not coming up very well. I removed the water pan and put a little baking pan wrapped in foil on the second grate. I put the fatty on while temp was about 210. I left and shot some trap practice. Got home maybe 2 hrs 15 min later and the wsm was at 265. I messed around for maybe 15 min or so then checked the fatty. Was overcooked at 185 or so but the bacon was crisp and the inside was still moist and delicious.

Reactions: tropics
Looks like you could have used more charcoal,or put all of what you had in a half circle (snake) Points 

Richie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky