First Fatty, at 250 - 275 temp about how long will it take to cook?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

new2smoking

Original poster
Apr 12, 2010
Utah
Got my first fatties going in the MES 40 today, just wondering approximately how long they will take to cook?

My guess would be around 2-2.5 hours but theres lots of factors that could affect that

Probably about 2 hours, could be slightly less or close to an hour more but I have found they usually reached their temp in about 2 1/2 hours.
Remember though, temp not time, bring them to 165.

Well I'm with theses guys and I'll say 2 to 1 1/2 hours should be plenty of time.

all depends on size, fillings, temp smoked at... the only reliable method is to go by internal temp. i go by the 165 as well. that said 6 hours seems like an awful long time if temps were maintained at aprx 225. wonmdering about temp measurement of the smoker temp and the internal finish temp... need to ck thermos maybe???

all depends on size, fillings, temp smoked at... the only reliable method is to go by internal temp. i go by the 165 as well. that said 6 hours seems like an awful long time if temps were maintained at aprx 225. wonmdering about temp measurement of the smoker temp and the internal finish temp... need to ck thermos maybe???
Nope thermo's were fine. I used 3 different ones and all registered the same temps.

I just found it odd because every other fattie I've done took about 2.5 hrs.

Had mine in today at approx. 230, it took exactly 2 hours to hit 165 this time around. Last time it was a little longer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky