First ever spilt chicken breasts w/ brine and Qview!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

the dude abides

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 12, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
Hi SMF'ers and lurkers alike. Today I smoked a few different things. I did 2 chuck roasts and a rack of St. Louis ribs in addition to these beautiful spilt chicken breasts soaked in a brine.

Here's the process, tell me what you think...

Started a brine with
3 cups of water
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
1 tsp. Bacon Salt (wasn't going to, but saw it in the cupboard and thought why not)
1/4 tsp. Cayanne Pepper
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Put that into a large stainless mixing bowl and heated over medium low heat until the salt broke down. Then I removed it from the heat and added the small bottle of apple juice.
ry%3D400

then added ice to cool the temp down before I added the chicken
ry%3D400

Added enough water to cover the bird parts, then off to the fridge for a 6.5 hour soak
ry%3D400

When it was time, I dusted them with Ole Ray's Rubb It that I got from mballi3011 in an exchange a couple of weeks back.
ry%3D400

Smoked these on the WSM using Seven Oaks lump and apple wood chunks for about 2.5 hours. Sorry no picts on the smoker. But then I lit up another chimney of lump and finished these off on the Weber kettle to crisp up the skin and to try to get to eatin' at a reasonable hour since I promised the neighbor dinner tonight.
ry%3D400

I took a couple over to the neighbor to say thank you for being such a great guy. I won't go into the whole story again, but it's all in the chuckie thread. Here's the two I saved for myself.
ry%3D400

I ended up shredding these and bagging them up for lunches later. I nibbled a little and it was a very juicy and had a nice smokey flavor. I did peel the skin off. It was still a bit on the chewy side even after nailing it over high heat on the Kettle.
ry%3D400

Thanks for checking out my Qview. Please take a look at my chuckie post
"2 Chuckies. 1 for payback, 1 for me! With Qview" and the rib thread
"1st St. Louis ribs in quite a while with Qview". Much appreciated.

Looks good nice job
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Man that is some nice looking chicken Dude...

I should probably eat more chicken than I do (according to my doctor). But as Emeril says, "Pork Fat Rules".

Thanks guys

Beer - try leg quarters. Probably my favorite chicken to smoke. Takes on great flavor. The meat probably isn't quite as healty as a breast, but it's great tasting stuff.

Looks delicious Dude, my kind of food.

Beautiful chicken, Dude~ that color is perfect-o! Very nicely done and you're a great neighbour too, sharing your smokes like that
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Great looking chicken. I wouldn't mind being your neighbor!
biggrin.gif

Darn it you were busy you had the othe smoker going too. I'm glad your liking the rubs and stuff just let me know if you need some replacement there are all pretty cheap and there is alot of them. The chicken looks great too and they would make some really good tacos and stuff.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Thanks everyone. Very productive weekend around here. Amazing what you can get done without the wife and little kids around. AND I pulled off a successful smoke! Yeah Me!

Congrats on your first brined chicken smoke. Looks like all went well and it was a nice gesture of you to share the end results!

Thanks Laurel. I appreciate your comments.

Not my first brined chicken smoke, just the first time I've done it with split breasts. Leg quarters are usually my thing. Great flavor and cheap as heck to buy. I've got a 10 pound bag in the freezer that I picked up for $0.49 a pound this summer. Have to get to those soon!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky