First Dry aged Rib-Eye Roast ( pic heavy)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dave from mesa

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 8, 2009
Mesa, az
First anything on our MES.

Wrapped Rib-eye in cheese cloth last Sat. Ready to put in the refer.

After 8 days aging, changing cheese cloth every 2 days.

After trimming all the ugly stuff off the meat.

Rubbed with EVOO, kosher salt and garlic pepper. Wrapped it in plastic wrap and set in refer for 6 hrs.

Figured 45 min per pound, at 225, times 7 pounds = 5 1/4 hrs. Put it on at 11:45 figuring to take it off at about 5:30-6:00. At 2:30 the temp was 118.
Holly crap this is going to be done WAY early. Let it go till 3:30 and the temp was 135, more than I wanted. It still felt like it was not cooked but 3 temp gauges read within 1 degree of another. The outside didn't really have any bark on it.

Put it under foil in the oven and till 5:30 then turned the oven to 500 and let it cook for 15 min. When we took it out the outside had a nice bark on it and it come out med rare.

Got to be one of the luckiest guys around that this worked out.
Hope you enjoy the Q-View.

Looks perfect to me.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Can't really tell as this is the first time I smoked a rib-eye roast. I have done this to steaks that I grilled and it seemed to make a diff.
Since GOOD steak houses dry age there's I can 't see where it's a bad thing.

Outstanding Qview Dave! That is one fine roast you cooked. I am absolutely going to be doing one like this. Think I'll do the dry age as well -- like you said, good steak houses do....

Cooked to perfection in my book!

points.gif

Awesome looking chunk of meat, Dave! Looks like it came out perfect.

Thanks guys.
It did come out great even tho I was real worried up till I cut it.
Everyone that ate it said it was a success.

From a food safety aspect don't do this at home.

First dry aging in your home reefer does nothing. You will dehydrate the meat a little, but the microbiology was all killed in the gas pack packer. So unless this piece was purchased directly from a butcher that ages it will not contain the bacteria and enzyme action as the inert gas is designed to kill it all.

If you do get it from a butcher that kills and cuts.. you need to know the kill date, the temperature of the storage and days until the day you purchased it. But you reefer won't hold the humidity correctly so you will again be wasting your time and risking your purchase to putrification.

It is a great look roasting, and it looks to be cooked to perfection. But it is a perfect meat by nature. It does not need messed with at all.

I smoke them all the time.. very nice product.

i was thinking that too, was the meat kept in the fridge during the drying phase, was any curing agent used?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky