First dry age

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

the smoker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
Western NY
Hello everyone. So I have just completed my first run at dry aging. I did half of a beef loin. I used Umai dry bag. It was a little bit tricky to get sealed, but I got it. I stored the loin in my fridge for one month.

It shrank a fair amount as expected and firmed up nicely. The smell when I opened it was a bit of a shock as I was told it would be. Quite a strong meat smell. But I continued.

Cut the end off, then a nice slice about 1.5". Trimmed off the pelicle. The inner meat had a nice soft texture.

Heated up my CI to a med-hi heat, added a splash of oil. Quick sear each side, then to the oven to finish. Though I did over cook it, it chips really fast.

So hear it is in all its glory

Attachments

• 20201004_143555.jpg
    20201004_143555.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 20201023_181719.jpg
    20201023_181719.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 20201023_185839.jpg
    20201023_185839.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 20201023_185904.jpg
    20201023_185904.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 44
Looks good! Waiting for the next piece not over cooked. But the most important question...what did you think of it?

Ryan

Reactions: the smoker
Looks good! Waiting for the next piece not over cooked. But the most important question...what did you think of it?

Ryan

Definitely good, however, definitely different lol. I will continue to get it better. Tonight was just a taster. I will be making a full dinner on Sunday. So more pictures to come

Not all that familiar with dry aging as I thought that was done in open air carefully controlled temp and humidity chambers, then wet aged was done in a bag? what makes this method dry aging? , not sure I would want to try this due to the waste and the possibility of something going south and lose the whole thing. I have resisted the urge to SV large cuts of meat for multiple days for the same reason , hope the next cook is great also

Not all that familiar with dry aging as I thought that was done in open air carefully controlled temp and humidity chambers, then wet aged was done in a bag? what makes this method dry aging? , not sure I would want to try this due to the waste and the possibility of something going south and lose the whole thing. I have resisted the urge to SV large cuts of meat for multiple days for the same reason , hope the next cook is great also

In a way, it's kind of a crossover. It's a dry age because the bag that is used allows the moisture out. Yes there is waste, that's is the downside. Because the bag only 'breathes' out, there is no chance of the meat going south as long as the seal is strong

I am a dry aged fan. My daughter gave me a sample pack from UMAI for Christmas. I've done prime rib, bone on and off, NY Strip. I get a roast from Costco (sale price) trim it a bit, then into a Umai bag, beer fridge for 40+ days. Yes there is some waste when you trim, a lot of water loss. But it is worth it for the concentrated beef flavor. Dry aged beef from the butcher is very expensive. I just finished a 45 day old NY strip, family enjoyed 1 1/2" steaks. Cooking is a little challenge since there is little moisture in the meat. I use time/ and feel for the proper temp. I salted these steaks 24 hours before cooking, let them dry a bit more in the fridge/rack. Hit them with a little Mcllhenny rub then onto the Weber. McIlhenney Plantation Prime Rib Rub
I am going to try another NY strip roast without a bag when I catch a sale.

https://umaidry.com/

RG

20201004_105609.jpg

I am a dry aged fan. My daughter gave me a sample pack from UMAI for Christmas. I've done prime rib, bone on and off, NY Strip. I get a roast from Costco (sale price) trim it a bit, then into a Umai bag, beer fridge for 40+ days. Yes there is some waste when you trim, a lot of water loss. But it is worth it for the concentrated beef flavor. Dry aged beef from the butcher is very expensive. I just finished a 45 day old NY strip, family enjoyed 1 1/2" steaks. Cooking is a little challenge since there is little moisture in the meat. I use time/ and feel for the proper temp. I salted these steaks 24 hours before cooking, let them dry a bit more in the fridge/rack. Hit them with a little Mcllhenny rub then onto the Weber. McIlhenney Plantation Prime Rib Rub
I am going to try another NY strip roast without a bag when I catch a sale.

https://umaidry.com/

RG

View attachment 468005
Looks amazing!

OK here's take two of cooking. I learned real quick how fast dry aged meat can cook. Well at least the beef loin. Beef loin has a different texture and flavor to begin with. This enhanced it deeply. I really didn't know how loin was going to turn out. Can't wait to try other cuts now.

Attachments

• 20201025_181856.jpg
    20201025_181856.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 20201025_184755.jpg
    20201025_184755.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 23
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky