First Cut Chuck

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lfroberts5

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Here is my first ever “First Cut Chuck†(The first cut actually has three cuts in it. Above the bone you have the top blade chuck, in the middle you have the middle muscle best for grind or stew and finally the rib-eye at the bottom.)

First I really didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know what I was doing so I just flew by the seat of my pants. I did some things and members of SMF told me a different way to do it, so… I really did some things backwards.

First I put some of Emerilâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s Steak Rub on it to season some and use the salt in it to help caramelize. I then put some Howlin Dogâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s Wild Spice Blend. I then found out that it might be good to put some EVOO on it too, so… I then drizzled some on it and let it sit a couple minutes while I got my grill to 500 deg.
I then seared it for about 5 minutes per side. After that I let it sit overnight in Vmanâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s Steak Marinade.
The next day I got the smoker going with some hickory, a little bit of Apple and some mesquite wood. I could only get the smoker to about 175 so I let the meat smoke for 2 hours. The internal temp got to 150. It looked great… however… we prefer more medium well. I taste tested some of it first and WOW. The flavor was out of this world. I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know if it was the caramelization from the searing or the bark from the rub or the smoke or the EVOO?
Next I put it in a glass pan covered with foil and put it in a 300 deg. Oven for about ½ hour. It turned out Great! I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know what I did but Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m gonna have to do it again soon. I might even start to smoke steaks like some other SMF members.
Sorry but the only pic I have is one after the searing.

Looks tasty. I do pulled chuck now and again. Very good
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

Yup, that's the chuck eye steak, kissin' cousin to a rib-eye. They're delicious and that was a great way to fix it! Good smokes!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Boy howdy, I'll say ya went about it all backwards-Marinade, season, grill and eat.

Searing the meat closes the pores so anything applied afterwards (like soaking in a marinade) will just stick to the outside of the steak and add to the caramelization process. Just my 02 cent observation.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky