First Cook

Discussion in 'Roll Call' started by dionysus, Jul 4, 2006.

1. dionysus

dionysus Meat Mopper OTBS Member

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone on this forum for contributing to a successful first cook. Spent a lot of time here gathering knowledge and advise before attempting my first smoke and I wanted to let you know it was time well spent. Did 2 "yard birds" and a mess a ribs ..... family couldn't stop raving about how good they were. The birds were brined for about 8 hours and basted with apple juice every hour once they were in the cooker. 3-2-1 method was fantastic for the ribs (although I did cut the time down a bit as they were baby backs). Everything done on my GOSM with a hickory smoke at 225-250 (see attached photos). Thanks again everyone .....

Ron
    Vancouver, Canada
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. monty

monty Master of the Pit Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Hiya, Ron!

Welcome aboard! Always nice to have a lurker come forward with a success story like yours! It is obvious that I do not have to include a "schpeel" about the forum. You seem to already have made excellent use!

Got to get a paper towel and wipe off the monitor! Man those pics are nice!

Hang out with us and please share more of your successes as well as your flops! I am sure now that you are out in the open that you will rapidly make friends and become a part of the family!

Cheers!
    Monty

3. cajunsmoker

cajunsmoker Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Today makes 4 straight days of eating BBQ and your pictures still made me drool on my keyboard. :D

Got to check into moisture insurance for my puter :oops:

4. sean

sean Fire Starter

Congrats Ron! Looks great. Looks like you did better than I on your first smoke.

C-ya around forum ....

5. icemn62

icemn62 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Ron congrats on your 1st cook. hope your sucess keeps you in the game. What are you going to cook next time?

Your ribs are fantastic looking, the chickens deserve a toast, so I will go grab a cold one i their honor.

6. sean

sean Fire Starter

Hey Gary, while you're up .....

:)

7. vulcan75001

vulcan75001 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Ron..

Congrats on your first smoke...Everything sure looks great...Really like those chickens...Good job

Later
    Richard

8. dutch

dutch Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Welcome to SMF, Ron. It looks like your 'lurking' paid off, those birds and ribs look great.

9. buzzard

buzzard Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

them ribs do look good. i may have to make me some soon after i work on the list i have already started, i think they would be around 8th on the list now

by the way what kind of beer was that. i dont recognize the can or font.

10. dionysus

dionysus Meat Mopper OTBS Member

Hey Buzzard, sorry, been away on Vaca for a while. The beer is good old Labatts Blue. One thing we Canadians do know how to do is make beer ....