First cook on UDS w/ QView

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

blackened

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
Chico, Ca.
Threw a 4 1/2 lb butt on.. Took 5 1/2 hours to get it to 200, a little finishing sauce and some home made slaw.. Good times..

butt20011594045.jpg

butt20021841626.jpg

butt20031930984.jpg

butt20041955581.jpg
butt20041955581.jpg

butt20051989319.jpg

Nice first smoke on that rig.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Great looking first smoke... the qviews look delicious...

That is a great looking UDS, should not call it Ugly Drum Smoker... LOL
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Very nice smoke for the first time
points.gif
On for a sucessfull smoke.

Great looking smoke! Curious, is that your only intake on the side there? Very interesting design.

I was wondering about that intake as well. I saw one on youtube like that I wanted to know how well it worked. It would save my back from bending down to adjust the vents. Good looking butt!

Good job Blackened, I was going to recommend a pork butt for your first smoke. Looks like you are getting the hang of it. Did it hold temp okay for you?

That is the only intake. It's 2" and I've only got to open it up about 3/8 to lock in at 235-250. Works great..

mailgooglecom8582075.jpg

mailgooglecom8644324.jpg

Got the same design on my #7 build, though not NEARLY as gorgeous as yours, but yes, barely have the slide cover open and holds temps like a champ and easy on the back! How much starter fuel did you use? When I preburned mine I used about 5 or 6 briqs of Kingsford Comp and she burned almost 19 hours on 10lbs of fuel at 240 degrees. Would have burned longer but I wasn't there to stoke the ashes.

The credit goes to ratdawg, he built it for me as I don't have the welding skills, even though I'm a contractor.

For my seasoning burn I put 1/2 chimney of lit Kingsford over 1 1/2 chimney's of unlit and 3 fist sized chunks of hickory at 3 pm.

Locked it in at 235 with ease, and played with the intake and got it up to 275 and down to 200 within half an hour.

Still holding at 235 at midnight, tapped the basket to drop the ash and went to bed. Got up at 6 am and it was still holding at 200, 15 hours later.

Had to go to work so I don't know how much longer it would have held, but I wouldn't hesitate to do an overnight cook on it.

When I smoked the butt I used the same amount of fuel for about 5 1/2 hours, then closed it up and there looks to be about 75% of the coals left over for the next time.

My Guess would be for hanging sausage & bacon & the likes...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky