FIRST COOK EVER... NEW UDS CHICKEN/ COUNTRY STYLE RIBS Q View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

quityerbitchin

Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
Got to break in my new UDS.  Got some chicken drumsticks, and County Style Ribs... Not a bad first meal!!! Already planning a Boston Butt for Superbowl Sunday.... Hopefully the Patriots will help make that day a little better!

ff6120f4_chickencsr.jpg

ce3812ab_chicken.jpg
3f48bc06_csr.jpg

Just a basic rub, Brown sugar, paprika, salt, pepper.  I did 4 of the chicken legs with salt only for my 2 yr old. 

I am having trouble with the seal on my drum so I did not get any pics of  the cook in process.  I modified a lid from a cheap 22 1/2 kettle, and I am having huge issues with air leaking in.  I tried suing a rope stove gasket, but that seems to have failed, so I went to lowes and they gave me a gasket kit from their Bayou Classic BGE knockoff.  I am going to try that, but i have to modify the brackets that are on the drum holding the lid on it (the stove rope is 3/8 thick, and the BGE gaskets are about 1/16 of an inch.  I will use one on top and one on bottom, but I will have to adjust the bracket down 1/4 inch to make up for it.  I am thinking I will just drill the holes on the bracket itself down 1/4 rather than put more holes in my drum. I also picked up some hardware today to add a steel pipe and ball valve to the drum.  I figure come summer when I am having a few cocktails, it will not be good to be bending all the way down to verify that I have my hole open 1/8 or 1/4...
3457821b_IMG00089-20101231-1247.jpg

This is the UDS as I was still constructing it.  Our local grocery has pork butt on sale this week so she suggested we do pulled pork for the super bowl... I am hoping to get the gasket issue squared away this week, so I can re test on something different this weekend!

update... today I put the pipe on with the ball valve, and I took the rope gasket off, and added a high heat silicone gasket.  It is curing now, hopefully it is fully cured by sunday.  I got some sausage and bacon today, and hope to do my first fatty on sunday!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky