First Chuckie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hawkiphan

Original poster
May 15, 2010
Des Moines, IA
Tomorrow I am trying my first chuckie. It is about 2.5lbs and it is pretty thick. I was thinking of smoking it at about 225. I know each piece of meat smokes different but roughly how long should it take? I rubbed it with Jeff's rub and I figure that I will foil it at about 170.

Thanks.

depends on yer smoker...............it will be done when it is done. try 1/2 can of beef broth if you use a foil pan for the last hour.

GO HAWKS!!!!!  Great game yesterday, inspite of O'Keefe's predictible play calling.

Hey hawkiphan.  I did a 2.25lb chuckie yesterday for the game and it took about 3 hours to hit 165, then I foiled, added a splash of beer, then back in the smoker til it hit 205.  then I rested it in a cooler for 2 hours.  It pulled apart really easily.

Here's my thread if it helps you at all.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/99558/smoked-chuck-made-enchiledas

I'm in West Des Moines...where are you?

I am over by Altoona. The game was going great but it got a little too close for my taste towards the end.

For my first try the chuckie turned out pretty good. I put it in a foil pan at 160 with beef broth and some onions. I pulled it out when it was a little over 190, let it sit for about a half hour and then pulled it.

What temp did you smoke it at Dude? I was around 225 for most of the smoke. It took longer to smoke than I thought it would.

I was running around 240 for the better part of the day.  I grew up off E. 42nd and Hubble.  So I know that area pretty well.  Might be time for another Iowa lunch or dinner gathering.

Now we just need to see some pictures!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky