First cheese in MES 30

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thehoz

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 6, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Here is my first shot at smoking cheese in my MES 30...AND the first time I used my AMNPS.  

It was 32 degrees most of the day here in the Pittsburgh, PA area and windy.  First, I boiled 2 doz eggs....didn't peel so well.  I put in a chunk of Wisconsin cheddar, Longhorn, mild cheddar from a large supermarket, mozzarella from the same place, and from a discount food store I tried colby, mozzarella and pepper jack.  I put in a large bag of string cheese and a chunk of chipotle cheddar that's been sitting in the fridge untouched for some time.

I filled 1 row of the AMNPS with the pellets that came with it (preseasoned the AMNPS per instructions).

I took the eggs out after 45 minutes and left the cheese in for about 3 hours.  The internal temp of the MES kept inching up toward 90 after about 1.5 - 2 hours, so I would open the door about every 20 minutes to drop it back into the 70s. The eggs are tasty, the string cheese is fantastic.  The rest of it is packed in the fridge for a while.  

You do know you have to send out samples !

Gary

Great looking cheese. I have never tried smoked eggs - Something to give a go next time 
icon14.gif

Looks great! I'm smoking cheese for the first time this weekend as well on my MES 30 and AMNPS.

Can't wait!

Definately worth it. My cheese is still resting/aging in the fridge, but I did some string cheese that I started eating a day or 2 after. Everyone loves the smoked string cheese and I did another batch since.

What flavor pellets did you use? Pitmasters choice come with it? And what's involved in seasoning the AMNPS? Mine arrives on Saturday.

Last edited:
What flavor pellets did you use? Pitmasters choice come with it? And what's involved in seasoning the AMNPS? Mine arrives on Saturday.
I used whichever pellets came with it. Hickory I think. I emptied it out, heated the empty AMNPS in the smoker at 275 or 30 mins. Then I filed up only 1 row of the AMNPS. I just used it yesterday and filed it with hickory and apple and it burned 11 hours on my pork butt. Nice.

Yes, there are typically instructions with the AMNPS and AMNTS.  I typically use apple or cherry when I do cheese.  If you have a propane torch out in your shop, you can simply give your AMNPS a quick once over with the flame from the torch.  It will quickly burn off any remaining contaminants.

Here is my first shot at smoking cheese in my MES 30...AND the first time I used my AMNPS.  

It was 32 degrees most of the day here in the Pittsburgh, PA area and windy.  First, I boiled 2 doz eggs....didn't peel so well.  I put in a chunk of Wisconsin cheddar, Longhorn, mild cheddar from a large supermarket, mozzarella from the same place, and from a discount food store I tried colby, mozzarella and pepper jack.  I put in a large bag of string cheese and a chunk of chipotle cheddar that's been sitting in the fridge untouched for some time.

I filled 1 row of the AMNPS with the pellets that came with it (preseasoned the AMNPS per instructions).

I took the eggs out after 45 minutes and left the cheese in for about 3 hours.  The internal temp of the MES kept inching up toward 90 after about 1.5 - 2 hours, so I would open the door about every 20 minutes to drop it back into the 70s. The eggs are tasty, the string cheese is fantastic.  The rest of it is packed in the fridge for a while.  

Using my amnps in mes 30" smoker for the first time. I purchased a cheap Wagner heat gun and the pellets fired right up. I'm smoking cheese and the amnps it's doing awesome, best of all i don't have to purchase any fuel for a torch. First time on smoking cheese and thanks to Todd i can now coldsmoke.

looks great!!!

what got me/my attention was the eggs at 45minutes? is that the thought at 225 degrees or does anyone know the wiggle room here? do not want to dry out the eggs or over cook them.

thanks for the help/clarification in advance.

Tom
Tom he hard boiled them from what I read, 225* your cheese would be a big mess in your smoker

thehoz That looks great nice even color, what does it look like now that it is aged?

Tom he hard boiled them from what I read, 225* your cheese would be a big mess in your smoker
Tropics,

sorry for the misunderstanding. I understand they went in at hard boiled. I was curios of the smoke temp and time if that was exact or arbitrary? my thoughts were not to combine cheese in this mix (I have been doing cheese over 15 years) you are the greatest to pick that up 9again thanks), it made me remember the picture posted years ago here of the cheddar that was melted from the top rack dripping thru all the racks to the bottom (think Niagara Falls or lately the Sammamish river here). the egg question was more intended to find if more is less (smoke) or just the other... less is better. of course always based on taste/preference.

tom

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky