First CB w/ Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pit 4 brains

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 16, 2009
Summerville, SC
I had a pork loin in the freezer and boredom got the best of me. I cut it in half and did a TQ cure on it for 7 days. Rinsed, drizzled with a little raw sugar and into the Good Ol' Smokin Machine..

Out of the fridge this morning..

A litte cross section..

Thax for the guidance Pineywoods!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Question:
I just did two Pork Loins this weekend.

I am interested in how long it took to smoke/cook. Mine took about 7 hrs to hit 155. Partially due to the fact that I started at 170 and upped it about 10 deg per hour, ending at about 240 because it seemed to take to long and I needed to finish up.

So, how long do most people take to hit cooked temps?
Second, mine ended up a LOT darker than the pictures here. Is that due to the amount of smoke I did or the temps?

Of peoples cook time, how long do most people apply smoke? I applied smoke for about 5 hrs (I like pretty smokey).
Rick

I took mine to 162*.
That way you can eat it as is, or just warm it up. It's great!
I guess if you're gonna fry it, you can pull it at just about any temp--140*, 150*, 155*.
I figure if it doesn't dry out (mine didn't), why not take it to over 160*.

Bearcarver

Congrats
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
How did it come out? Was it to your liking?

Reeko I think you'll find many different answers as it depends on peoples tastes and ideas. Some people will put them in and smoke at 225 and get some smoke and the ham taste from the cure. Others will use lower temps and apply longer smoke for more smoke and the ham taste. Some will take the internal temps to 155-160 and use as ready to eat such as snacks, sandwiches, or even brown it and heat it fast in a fry pan. Others don't care about the final smoker temp just the amount of smoke applied because they are going to cook it before consuming like bacon with breakfast. So its a matter of what you want to do with it and how you want it to taste. I suggest doing it many ways and figure out which you like the best and enjoy all the good eating while your testing methods
biggrin.gif

A tad on the salty side.. And i rinsed it good before the smoke. But it fries up really good!

It look fabulous and all but you mentioned that you fried some but that was from the end and thats gonna get most of the salt out first too. So I guess if you took notes maybe just soak it alittle longer then you did this one. I like your alot and theres not much better then some CB and crackers like the ritz that are in the pantry.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Next time after rinsing it cut a slice off and fry it and check the salt content if its too salty then soak in fresh cool water for 45 minutes and check it again if still salty change the water and soak again then hang to dry or place it in front of a fan. Sorry I didn't suggest this sooner

I did that and it wasn't salty at all... It might just be salty on the small end where I cut it for the pics..

Well it looks awesome I think I know what I'd be having for dinner tonight if I had that yummmmmmm some scalloped taters and green beans as sides oh momma

Shweeeeeeet CB! A couple of things.... try rinsing with warm water... it gets the cure off of the meat better. Second... not talked about a lot here but a thing called equalization (equilibriate the meat)...... after you rinse put the bacon back in the fridge uncovered for 24 to 48 hours before you smoke it. You'll find both these methods will bring down the salty flavor.

Very nice CB. I prefer to do mine to 160 - 165. I like to have it for sandwiches and I also use it in salads. It is hard to beat in a salad. It can still be fried up, but I like to have it fully cooked.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky