First Canadian bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kamhillbilly

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 11, 2008
Kaministiquia Ontario Canada
I just finished my first Canadian bacon , turned out too salty I used Mortons Tender Quick and mostly followed Cowgirls recipe .It was in brine for 5 days took out and rinsed and soaked in cold water two times 1/2 hour each. I had four small loins about 1 3/4" - 2" thick and about 12" long , now was it in brine too long ,was the brine too strong for the amount of meat i had , if I had fried a piece and noticed it was too salty would rinsing and soaking in cold water more times helped . Someone at work told me that a raw peeled potato in the cold water soak would absorb some salt ( any one heard of this)..

Any input or suggestions are appreciated

It tastes good just need a beer in other hand

Thanks

It sounds like you might have used the smaller tenderloin instead of a back loin. The brine would have been too strong for a peace of meat that small.

I usually soak it for a couple of hours changing the water a few times and never had an issue. I also dry cure mine and use 1 tablespoon of Tenderquick per lb of meat.

You are better off with a dry cure IMO, Kam. Then it's 1 Tbsp/Lb of meat. Much more controlled curing agent/salt contents that way. TQ is an excellent product, just follow guidelines and it'll work out.

and yes...raw potato slices really help alot... When I make potato soup...MAN the salt I gotta add scary LOL!

I used cowgirl's CB brine for my first (and only) CB, slightly altered. I did teh slic/fry test and found it a bit salty, but it was also off a whole loin. I did a 3 hour soak before smoking, changing the water every three hours, came out great!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky