first butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

newsmokerky

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 25, 2014
Bowling Green
I bought a 8 lb butt today,  Going to smoke it this week depending on the weather.  I plan to rub it heavily with Stubbs BBQ rub, and throw the hickory smoke to it for about 3 hours, then just the heat for another 4.  Please comment if I'm messing up, or if you have hints or suggestion.

What temp do you plan to smoke at? Seven hours  for an 8 pd  butt usually won't do it for low and slow. More info please..

Mike

I was planning to do it at 260-270 unless I'm told that's not a good temp.  Smoking with hickory on a propane smoker.

Got some feed back on another site.  I'm going 230.  I injected the butt without 60 cc's of apple juice, and rubbed it heavy in the Stubbs rub.  Gonna get it going in the morning around 8:00.  The butt is 7.6 pounds, so I'm guessing it will hit 150 or so after about 6 hours.  I plan to wrap it in foil, and then smoke it until 190 internal.  Then wrap another layer of foil, wrap in a towel, and put in a cooler for an hour or so.  Wish me luck.

I missed IF y ou're going to pull it or slice it  - 190 is fine for slicing but 205 is needed for pulled pork FWIW

I did a 10 lb butt last week. It took 24 hours. That was without foiling. If I am cooking @ 225*-240* AND foiling I plan a minimum of 1.5 hrs pre lb. You can always keep it in the cooler longer if it finishes early.

I smoked a butt yesterday

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/174930/the-butt-foamheart/20#post_1287015

Thats a 24 hours butt, although somewhere I lost control and it dropped to 200 degrees cooking temp.

I broke my number one rule, ( figuring as always I had figured 24 hours on a butt). I recommend everyday everyway to smoke your butt in advance. I have smoked a few butts and I can tell you no one taught the pigs to tell time. If you think you have them zero'd in, like a woman, they'll change just to screw with your head.

Pulled pork fortunately is the one meat that actually benefits by pulling early. First the longer it rests and redistributes is good. BUT...... it loves finishing sauce! The finishing sauce does more than one thing...... It allows you to perfectly regulate the moisture content. It also does everything plus more that your injection adds to the party. You use so little its not a stand out taste, but those spices and oils in the meat make a huge difference.

Do not attempt to cook a butt or any pulled pork on a dead line. The Pizza Doodle appreciates your business. You can cook a butt on Sunday for a Wednesday meal and it will be better than if you cook it on Wednesday and time it perfectly.

Never smoke on the clock.

The guys above are all leading you in the right direction. Low and slow is what smoking is all about.

I don't feel comfortable leaving a raging propane flame running all night...... I guess I'll start it early in the morning, and see what happens tomorrow evening....  I can let it go 14-15 hours and see what happens.  I can wrap it up in foil and a couple of towels and stick in a cooler.  

Anytime your smoker breaks down, the weather rolls in or you just don't have the time. The oven is a perfect substitution. I realize mine is a gas oven but mine will go down to 100 degrees, thats the same as my smoker. Cook on the smoker till when ever is convienant, say at the first stall, or when ever the smoker breaks, or until you decide to foil. Whatever trips your trigger.

You do although need to try and maintain the smoke as long as possible. 100 to 140 IT (internal temp) being the optumium for smoke absorption. Your oven will be as good as the smnoker, just lacking that good smokey goodness.

Last edited:
3.5 hours in.  Internal temp 135 or so.  Added another gallon of juice/water to the pan, and some more hickory.  I'm thinking it will be a couple more hours to get to 150.  Wrap it then, and put back on until 190-195.  Another wrap of foil, wrap in towel, and into a cooler for a couple of hours.  So far, so good.  Smells wonderful.

Last edited:
5.5 hours at 230-240.  Internal temp 160 and change.  Wrapped in layer of foil, back on at same temp.  Check it in a couple of hours to see what IT is.  

Now that it is foiled, any reason to worry about the juice/water pan going dry?  I can't see where that matters with it being wrapped.

Now that it is foiled, any reason to worry about the juice/water pan going dry?  I can't see where that matters with it being wrapped.
I guess that's up to you, are there drippings in there you want to save for a finishing sauce? You can remove the drippings and save for later or just add some more liquid and keep on truckn'.

I always use liquid in my GOSM but my stickburner, sometimes I do and others I don't, depends on if I'm keeping the drippings or not.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky