First butt with Dutch's beans

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

harrisonhunter

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
Well got out my ECB converted to Charcoal smoker out to attempt my first 7lb butt and a batch of Dutch's beans.

Got my temps up to 235 around 8:30 a.m and put the butt on for the day.

I hit my stall at 147 for about 3 hours and then it went to 165 pretty quick. Got it wrapped in foil and bumped my temps up to about 250-260 for the rest of the cook.

Ended up hitting 197 around 8p.m and tossed it in the cooler for an hour.

Dinner was a bit later than I thought but well worth the wait. The beans were excellent. I even made a non bean eater go back for his third helping.

One thing I need to work on is how much chips to feed the smoker. The pork was excellent but a bit too smoky for my taste.

Thanks to all here who have posted great info for me read and learn from.

Don't know why I do this to myself - lookin at this awesome qview from work... Great Job!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Great lookin job H. Maybe you want to use a different wood if the one you are using is tooooo smokey (strong). I am guessing you used hickory or mesquite. I use apple and cherry all the time, I use to have the same problem and also TBS is the ticket. Just my 2 coppers...

I use hickory, but cut it way down after about 3 hours or so, as to not over smoke it. Nevertheless, that sure looked good - the beans tasted good just looking at them!

If you feel the butt was too smoky, use less wood. Most folks use too much wood in the beginning... heck durn near ALL. I'm not suspecting creosote from the shot of the Thin Blue ya had going tho.

Matter of fact... I'm doling out POINTS! for this smoke! Nice job!

Nice looking smoke.

Looks outstanding nice job
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Lets see....4 wheel drive four wheeler-$7000, loose case of Bud-light-$20,
7lb pork butt and Dutch's beans on the ECB.....Priceless!!

Wow, a non bean eater went back for thirds!!! Sweet!! Glad you liked the beans!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Thanks to all.. Rich for the info.. And Dutch the beans Rock...

I think it's time to move up to a brisket. The all nighter scares me... The all day butt smoke darn near finished that case of Bud Light
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Looks great
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

I just ordered my first Brisket , should be in next week.
They make 30 packs of those malt pops
wink.gif

Phil

PS. Dutch , my wife is another "Non Bean eater " convert
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky