First Buck Board Bacon with Q view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

glenn t

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
Roswell, NM
First attempt at Buck Board Bacon. The second half is drying right now to go in the smoker later tonight. This bacon is apple smoked. Tonight will be apple with hickory.

Couldn't wait so I fried some up. Very lean compared to belly bacon.
002bvb.jpg

By null, shot with FinePix S5700 S700 at 2010-04-09
004nae.jpg

By null, shot with FinePix S5700 S700 at 2010-04-09
Tastes outstanding!

Now thats pork bellies right?? It looks like it to me. It looks great and how does it taste is the big thing??? But good job.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Damn! Just drooled over my new shirt.... it is here now morning with an egg or two would now taste very nice
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Looks great ! ------->>
points.gif

I'm a sucker for any kind of bacon!

I'm guessing that is a pork butt shoulder split in half ??

You're right, BBB is soooo lean, you have to be careful not to overcook it.

Thanks,
Bearcarver

Glenn,
Points for some Awesome Looking BBB!
points.gif

Because BBB is lean, I actually put a little oil in the pan before I fry. Same thing with my Breakfast Sausage and Italian Sausage, kinda lean.

I think BBB tastes somewhere between "Side Bacon" and "Ham".

Todd

Pork shoulder sliced about an inch thick so the cure would be certain to penetrate. This was my first attempt so I was a little worried. Turns out I had no need to worry. Cure penetrated very well. I probably could have rinsed a little more. And maybe done a second coat of brown sugar and cracked pepper.
Probably had the frying pan a little too hot. It seemed to start burning before the fat started melting.
But...to answer the question. It is fantastic! Much better than store bought.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky