First Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

seearekern

Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
North Central Iowa
I am in the process of trying my first brisket. I have seared it as Oakie described, and have moved it to the smoker. I have turned it once and am just about ready to turn it again and cover it with foil. Question is: since it is covered, is there any reason to use hickory to maintain the heat? I am getting low on hickory, but I have plenty of lump charcoal.

Anyone out there able to help me out?
icon_idea.gif

Thanx,
Chuck aka seearekern

Well, I use an MES so I can't say for sure, but I doub't it. Temp is temp, don't worry about it.

Really, once you foil it, there's no need to even keep it in the smoker. It ain't getting any more smoke, you're just goin for the heat. You can put it in the oven to finish. 'Course, it aint much fun sitting around the oven with a beer in hand....

ever thought about mailing logs for dollars? Intended to be a joke, but check ebay - peolpe sell hickory for a ton of $$. Well, they advertise - dunno if they sell......

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky