First Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MelonSC

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 8, 2019
Omaha, Nebr
Did my first brisket last weekend. I trimmed it the best I could, I had a hard time with some of the fat on the bottom - I blame my knife on that one. Put some rub on it and it let sit in the fridge overnight.

Got up Sunday, had it on by 530 at 250 degrees. I covered in a foil pan once it reached 160 or so with some vegetable broth in the bottom. The point reached 203-204 and got really tender. The flat reaches 198 and stayed there for atleast 30 minutes, if not 45. I pulled it out of fear of drying it out. For my first, it turned out alright I think but I was impressed.

I think I needed to trim more of the fat off the bottom side, a better rub for brisket (or use more), and I think I'm going to rotate it 180 degrees when it reaches 195 or so. Otherwise, I think I did everything I could for it being my first one or did I miss something somewhere?

I was rather pleased with the smoke ring though :)

Attachments

• 20200223_164504.jpg
    20200223_164504.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 70
Looks great. Brisket is still giving me some fits so nice work for this one on your first!

There are two schools of thought about rubbing a brisket the day before cooking. One thought is that the salt in your rub acts as sort of a dry brine. The other thought is that the salt in the rub pulls out moisture. I rub mine about an hour before going on the smoker.

Knowing the internal temperature is fine.... using the internal temperature to determine tenderness doesn't work all of the time. It's best to probe for tenderness, and cook them until they feel right. Then give your brisket a long rest in an insulated cooler.

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
I don't wrap I don't put rub on like thirdeye said about when ready to put in the smoker. I can't tell from your photo but I cook fat side up also.

Warren

The other thought is that the salt in the rub pulls out moisture.

That's not really an issue. Moisture is initially pulled out, but then reabsorbed along with salt. So it will actually help with moisture retention.

Looks great.

The flat reaches 198 and stayed there for atleast 30 minutes, if not 45. I pulled it out of fear of drying it out.

Were you waiting for it to reach a certain temp, or was it just not tender?

Looks great.

Were you waiting for it to reach a certain temp, or was it just not tender?

I was going for tender. I use temps as a guide, but tender is the ultimate done or not done. I considered leaving it on longer, but I didn't want to dry it out. From what I've read - and I could be mistaken, this is the internet after all - brisket seems to have a smallish window where pork is more forgiving about leaving it on too long.

Nice Smoke ring everybody has a First At the end of this post click on "Click Here" I have a lot of Info on Briskets

Gary

Looks good to me, Melon, especially for your first! This is the first time I've heard of putting it in a pan instead of wrapping....
You already noticed that the point takes longer than the flat. That's why I keep the flat as far to the left as possible of my offset where it's a little cooler. Sometimes I even cut the flat from the point and cook them separately.
As you've probably noticed on this site, there are a lot of "best" ways to do things. You'll find out what works for you! When you get a chance, try just a salt and pepper rub just before cooking (half & half), not overnight.
Keep on smokin!

(what sort of smoker are you using, by the way)

Looks good to me, Melon, especially for your first! This is the first time I've heard of putting it in a pan instead of wrapping....
You already noticed that the point takes longer than the flat. That's why I keep the flat as far to the left as possible of my offset where it's a little cooler. Sometimes I even cut the flat from the point and cook them separately.
As you've probably noticed on this site, there are a lot of "best" ways to do things. You'll find out what works for you! When you get a chance, try just a salt and pepper rub just before cooking (half & half), not overnight.
Keep on smokin!

(what sort of smoker are you using, by the way)

A local smoker suggested that so I thought I'd give it a try.

Shouldn't that be the other way around? The flat takes longer than the point? Or was I backwards in my original post?

Pitboss Vertical 5 series Copperhead is my smoker. I know some people haven't good luck, but it's done great for me.

It's pretty hard to get a brisket right, so for your first one you really did a great job!
It looks delicious!
Al

A local smoker suggested that so I thought I'd give it a try.

Shouldn't that be the other way around? The flat takes longer than the point? Or was I backwards in my original post?

Pitboss Vertical 5 series Copperhead is my smoker. I know some people haven't good luck, but it's done great for me.
Nah, I just "read" it wrong, Melon. I should know by now not to post after a few beers...
For me, the point always takes a bit longer because it's usually thicker. Apparently that's not always the case. I have a small point in the freezer that I cut the flat off to make Pastrami. When I get around to smoking it I think I might try that pan method. I've seen things bounce between 197 and 199 forEVER. I call it the second stall :-).
Congrats again on the nice cook!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky