First brisket this weekend...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bullitz

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 7, 2014
I have done ribs, mac, bbq beans, hot links, pork loin, pulled pork.

ALL came out great!

Now its time for some beef... and I am Terrified.

My brisket is a 16lb'er.

This thing could take up to 20 hours in my MES40, I am reading.

Maybe I should have started smaller.  ;)

Will post some pics during the smoke...

You can't purchase a brisket that is too big. I tell folks that brisket is good, but brisket sandwichs for a week is totally awesome! Loaf bread, sliced brisket and some fresh onions. It just don't get any better.

Just don't panic, don't try to rush the meat, don't forget the toothpick/fork test. Everything else is about looking cool while the smoker does all the work. Sunglasses, longnecks and some grease you can just wipe on your apron are all good.

Good luck. I'm still trying to perfect my brisket skills. Apparently there is a fine line between under-cooked, done and overcooked. Use the toothpick/fork test as Foamheart The High Priest of Hephaestus mentioned.

Last edited:
Just remember its done when its done there is not time or temp, use the probe on your instant read thermo to check doneness

When doing a brisket I plan on an hour per pound plus two hours at 235.  I foil mine at 165 then take them to 193-197 and into an ice chest for at least an hour, 2 or 3 won't hurt.  I have never had a failure using this method.   

Richard

Thanks All...

The excitement is building!

I trimmed and rubbed my meat today because I thought that I was going to start the smoke tomorrow night (Friday).

But.... I just saw that Amazon had the MES Cold Smoker available again (as of 12:04am today).  I bought it and paid extra for it to deliver Saturday.

I will be starting the smoke sometime Saturday night instead.

I will be sure to post the before, during, and after pics.

The Rub:
  • 2 tablespoons kosher or coarse salt
  • 2 teaspoons coarse black pepper (use fresh cracked pepper)
  • 2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon oregano leaves (dried)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
That was just enough for a thin coat on a 16 lb brisket.

I was considering adding more later but some people think that rub is too salty.

Will review that as well.

Interesting that it includes cumin.  I hear that cumin becomes bitter when cooked for more than 1/2 hour.  1/2 tsp probably wont make much difference for 16 lbs though.

If you all can shed some light on the do's/dont's of using the cold smoker attachment, now would be a good time for me to hear it!!

:)

One of the most essential skills to great brisket is to learn to forget you even have it on the smoker.  Have your "check" times in mind then go do something else.  Thinking about a piece of meat for 16-20 hours is a waste of mental energy and stressful.  Heck, you could have written several chapters of the next great American novel in that time because thinking about that brisket won't change one iota how it is smoking. 

Relax.  Trust it will come out perfect.  Know your target temps and let the brisket get there on its own time. 

First Update:
Due to fear of a 30 hour smoke, I started my smoke at 7:30 pm.
I will let it do its thing. Even IF 30 hrs.

After pulling it from the fridge, I added a liitle Montreal Steak Seasoning.

Its sitting in a cake pan. I was waiting to transfer to the smoker.

The brisket is in the mes40 now....with the cold smoke attachment. Am using mostly pecan but I have bits of mesquite and apple in there as well.
Temp is set at 225.
Am seeing temp swings on my probe from 203 to 234. Nothing I can do about that.

The temp is rising faster than I expected. At about 3.5 hrs in, it is at 133 degrees. Am gonna have to double check my probe placement.

Its 10pm here now.
Gonna be a long night.

Note: Was hoping the cold smoker attachment would allow me to leave it unattended. Not true. It stopped smoking at 2 hours in. LOG JAM!
I placed the chips in gently hoping to avoid such things...

Don't screw this up. If you fail, then there is probably no hope for me. If you succeed, then it will restore my faith in maybe one day being able to do it too. No pressure though.
a38.gif

Last edited:
Its looking good, be patient   Keep the pictures coming

Gary

Nice looking brisky! Don't forget the sliced pics!! I'm getting hungry,planning on any burnt ends?

Update 4:
After I removed the foil, the internal temp dropped like a rock. It fell to 156. That was at 7:30am, 14 hours into the cook.
as of now, 10:30am, the temp is only back to 163.
4 of those degrees happened in the last 1/2 hour.

I used an instant read thermometer to verify the temperature.

I guess now would be a good time to figure out how I am going to be cutting this thing. Burnt ends sound good...might give that a shot.

PS: As of unwrapping this morning. The probe that I am using for my cabinet temp is 'off'. Its reading about 30 degrees cooler than it had been. Or both of the built in sensors have gone 'off' and are reading hotter.
They were all in sync until this morning.

Update 5:

I pulled it at 190 and subsequently removed the point. When I pulled it from the smoker, it was wiggly like jello.
:)

Once I started the cut to remove the point, it practically came off on its own.

I cubed the point and threw it back into the smoker with some links and a tray of baked beans.

Point Pic:

I had to try a few pieces and they were extremely juicy/melt in your mouth.

The flat is resting for a while.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky