First Brisket Smoke on the WSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nomadd917

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 27, 2017
Peoria, IL
Electric smoker quit working on me. I need to call Masterbuilt and get a replacement part. Pretty sure the controller went out. The day after the electric smoker went out I decided to buy a used 18" WSM.

Wanted to smoke some st. Louis style spareribs. Got the WSM all set up for ribs. While the smoker was getting up to temperature I was preparing the ribs. After opening the package I realized my ribs were bad and I couldn't cook them or serve them to my dog. The most rancid smell ever. They were sitting in the refrigerator for about three weeks. That was probably too long. Since I had my smoker ready to go I decided to cook the brisket that was sitting in there as well.

Did a Texas style rub (just salt and pepper) and did not wrap it. It was an 11 lb packer from GFS (USDA choice). temperature held pretty steady between 225 and 250. For my first smoke and first time ever using a WSM I thought it was pretty darn easy. I put the brisket on at 10 AM and then pulled it at 8 PM IT was 196 but probe tender.

I'll post pictures of the finished burnt ends when they're done. My favorite part of the brisket.

Last edited:
Nice job on the brisket, and the WSM will always be there for ya.

Chris

Looks GREAT!  Nicely done on first WSM use. 
points1.png

I've never had the temp control go out on my WSM.  Oh wait, it doesn't need one! 

Looks great!  What kind of wood did you use?  I'm looking to do my first brisket this weekend on my WSM 18" too and will take any tip I can get!

Since I had originally set up for ribs I had apple chunks. I removed about half of them and replaced it with Hickory. So I did half apple half Hickory.

I know that rancid pork smell all too well. Bought 3 racks of Smithfields baby backs that were manager special. I bought them on the sell by date and planed on cooking 2 of them that day. I opened up one of the packages and It gaged me. I read on line that it could be from the cryovac and try rinsing them and let them dry. I tried this, put them in the fridge for 30 mins to dry. Open the fridge and gaged me again. Open the other 2 packages with same smell and almost threw up. Called the store and got my money back. Took me a few weeks before I could eat ribs again.

Brisket looks great!! Shows that keeping It simple yields great results!!

Nice hunk of beef [emoji]128077[/emoji]
[emoji]11088[/emoji][emoji]11088[/emoji][emoji]11088[/emoji][emoji]11088[/emoji][emoji]11088[/emoji]

You got the burnt ends up in time.. or else it would've been 4 out of 5 stars

[emoji]128521[/emoji]
:points1:

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky