First brisket Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

captsly

StickBurners
Original poster
Feb 12, 2010
Santa Fe Texas
Well here goes... This is my first attempt at Qview, not my first brisket by any means.
Got the prettiest lean brisket from Sams (almost 16lbs) yesterday.

Gave it a little trim, it didn't need much as it was real lean, just cut off the hard tallow. Still plenty of fat on the bottom side!

Gave it a nice rub..

Wrapped to go into the chill box till tommorrow morning

I cheated a little, I got the pit going last night before I went to bed so I would have some coals to work with when I got up! (Worked great)
Into the pit it goes

The weather is a little chilly for this time of the year in Texas, started out in the low 40's this morning, and supposed to warm to the 50's.
I will be smoking this bad boy at as close to 275 as I can so It will be done at a reasonable hour.
I will keep you all updated as the day goes by....Stay tuned!

Looks good, what time is dinner ?
icon_cool.gif

Looks like a great start

That thing looks deeeeeeelicious already!!! Let me know when dinner is ready! What kind of concoction is your rub?

I've been looking at Sam's meat myself. Wasn't quite sure about the lack of a fat cap or at least a slim one at that.

John

That brisket ~ was it choice , prime or anything special ? Looks like a great cut of meat . Qview is working good .

Hopefully be done by 6 or 7??

Spanish paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper and celery salt
It had a nice fat cap but it was on the bottom in the pics. This is one of the prettiest briskets I have found at Sam's, which is where I mostly buy my meats.

Time for an update... 6 hours in and temp was at 165

Wrapped her up at 165 due to the fact that it was so lean... Thought I would throw on a rack of spares while the pit was going

More to come later....

Looks like you are off to a great start... keep us updated...
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I find Sam's has some great briskets and our local one has PRIME each time I go in . They sell the crap out of it and it's so damn high .. but man what a product when you get done cooking it .....thanks

Off to a good start. I think this weekend I'll attempt my first brisket. I'll try our local Sam's and see what they have.

Cool, let us know how it goes. If they don't look good in the case, ask if they have more in the back, I have done this and they didn't seem to mind too much.

Well the brisket got done earlier than I thought. Got up to 185 after 8 hours on the smoke. Just double wrapped it and into the cooler for the few hours until dinner time. Ribs are on the 1 of a 3-2-1.
Got a few fatties on as well, but I will Qview that under fatties!!
Will post some pics of the finished products as they come off.

Everything looks great so far. I'll check back later.

Well my smoke is over for this time... All in all I feel it came out quite well. The brisket was excellent, fall apart tender and juicy! I am glad I pulled it when I did. Sitting in the cooler wrapped for 3 hours did it no harm. By the way the spares were good also. Sliced the flat and schredded the point.

Here is the flat sliced..

Have to throw in a pic of the spares..

A plate full goodness!

Thanks for looking at my Q and thanks for all the comments.
PS Look under fatties if you want to see what I did with them today!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky