First brisket overnight w/ Q-view.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

brandon91

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 10, 2014
the pit
Finally got around to doing a brisket, hopefully I don't fail it's kind of intimidating reading about how difficult brisket can be and working with such a large piece of meat.

14.78lbs, smoking with oak chunks and pecan chips. Hoping for it to get done around 3pm.

Updates coming later, time for a little sleep.

Looks awesome Brandon, not sure how I missed this so far.... but glad I didn't totally miss it ! All sure looks great, can't wait to see er after the rest & slicing ! How ya like that iGrill mini ? Just curious !

Looks awesome Brandon, not sure how I missed this so far.... but glad I didn't totally miss it ! All sure looks great, can't wait to see er after the rest & slicing ! How ya like that iGrill mini ? Just curious !
Thanks! I love the iGrill mini, so handy. One of my probes did go bad and start reading crazy temps, I was about to start calling it a piece of junk until some one in my house fessed up to soaking it in water overnight after it was used, which it says explicitly on the package not to do. I got my eye on the igrill2 now, 4 probes in one how can you not!
icon_eek.gif

Thanks! I love the iGrill mini, so handy. One of my probes did go bad and start reading crazy temps, I was about to start calling it a piece of junk until some one in my house fessed up to soaking it in water overnight after it was used, which it says explicitly on the package not to do. I got my eye on the igrill2 now, 4 probes in one how can you not!:icon_eek:

Very cool, thanks for the info ! Man, now ya got me craving brisket ! :biggrin:

Well I wouldn't call it a shining success, the flat was a bit on the dry side. But I didnt expect perfection my first try, it was edible and the guests were happy.

I think the issue was I could only find select grade around me. I think I'll try injecting next time.

The other thing Brandon, is all pieces of meat are different..... Briskets, butts.....you name it ! They all have a mind of their own....

Looks good bro! I've failed at brisket in my two attempts so it's been years since I tried one.

What are the different grades of brisket?

Thanks guys haha, I wont give up. Brisket is the only thing so far I can't get to be that good, lol. 2 pastrami's and a regular brisket. I guess it is just a cruel mistress. 

The other grades I meant were choice and prime.

Last edited:
I have found brisket comes out much better at a higher temp. I target 260-265 and try and stay in the 250-275 range. When cooking at 225, it takes too long and the flat ends up on the dry side like you described. I smoke the entire time unwrapped but they do get a couple of rub downs with oil. When done, I wrap in foil and put them in a cooler for a few hours to let the juices even out. They will stay safely over 140 in my cooler for over 6 hours, but you will want to watch that because you don't want meat to sit in the 40-140 range. You can always stick them in a warm oven to rest instead of a cooler, but I like to save the oven space for side dishes.

So it's select, then choice, and then prime? What's the price difference?

Price will depend on your butcher. Prime is the highest level of fat marbeling and least likely to be found in a typical grocery store. It doesn't necessarily make the best smoked brisket and will generally carry a premium price. I look for prime on a porterhouse steak but not a brisket.

That's correct, I think prime is 3-4 times the price of select. I paid 3.99lb at the supermarket for this select brisket, it's the only packer I could find in my area.
I have found brisket comes out much better at a higher temp. I target 260-265 and try and stay in the 250-275 range. When cooking at 225, it takes too long and the flat ends up on the dry side like you described. I smoke the entire time unwrapped but they do get a couple of rub downs with oil. When done, I wrap in foil and put them in a cooler for a few hours to let the juices even out. They will stay safely over 140 in my cooler for over 6 hours, but you will want to watch that because you don't want meat to sit in the 40-140 range. You can always stick them in a warm oven to rest instead of a cooler, but I like to save the oven space for side dishes.
Thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind for next time.

Last edited:
The grades of beef are Standard, Select, Choice, Prime, then stuff like Wagyu.  The grades are based on fat marbling.  It is basically non-existent to very little in Standard grade; everywhere in Wagyu.  Each of the grades has several levels of marbling, with Wagyu having the most.

Price difference?  Using Select as a base, Choice will be 25-100% more expensive than Select on average.  Same increase with Prime grade over Choice. Wagyu can be off the charts.

The majority of the meat sold in the US is one of the Choice grades, but I still pay close attention to marbling in cuts that should have marbling.  There have been times I've noticed very little difference between Select and Choice, or between Choice and Prime.

I was just wondering cause I plan on trying a brisket again soon. Any suggestions on which one to use? I'm not sure I want to try a top dollar brisket considering I'm 0-2 on them this far

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky